Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Spining Screws

Framing, planking and fairing. Repair, or reconstruction. If it's hull related, you'll find it here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Moosemeat

Spining Screws

Post by Moosemeat » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:59 pm

I have been tightening and replacing fasteners this PM on a '47 CC Sportsman. The seats have a pass-through to the stern. I found that the port side of the inside support is a bit wobbly, so I attempted to tighten the screws at the base of the support to no avail. They turn freely in both directions, so I can't remove them. Since they spin, the screw remover tool cannot grab them.
Before I go all Conan the Barbarian on them tomorrow, I would be grateful for any suggestions. Thanks.

mbigpops

Re: Spining Screws

Post by mbigpops » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:29 am

If you have room get a very small flathead screwdriver and get the blade under the head and apply pressure upward while you unscrew the screw (by hand would be preferred. The screw should pop up at least enough to grab it.

You could also try a screwdriver with the holding prongs attaced.

Good luck.

Mark
1953 CC Rocket Runabout "Rocket Man"

Bilge Rat

Post by Bilge Rat » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:03 am

Depending on the size of the screw head and how much space you have to work with, a tack puller can be useful. You carefully wedge the puller under the screw enough to lift it for grabbing with pliers.

Spinners are to be expected with 73 year old screws. Not meaning to be dramatic but there will be more elsewhere in critical locations.
Attachments
tack puller.jpg
1966 Lyman Cruisette 25 foot "Serenity Now!"
1953 Chris Craft Sportsman 22 foot "Summerwind"

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:19 pm

ok, so last resort time: I have actually shrunken down the pickup end of a BIG and POWERFUL standard shop vac ….get on down to 1/4 in pickup....and you can get a lot of those to come up enough to get a tack pulled under the lip of the head.
John in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
19?? custom Argentine Runabout 16'
1954 Whirlwind deluxe dual ckpt 16'
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)