Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Wood repair in Virginia

Framing, planking and fairing. Repair, or reconstruction. If it's hull related, you'll find it here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

mcashman53

Wood repair in Virginia

Post by mcashman53 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:47 pm

I have a 1950 CC 18"ft Sportsman and when pulling her out of the water onto my trailer (for a transmission repair), the forward roller of the trailer damaged the bottom. I have only owned the boat 3 months and it looks like the previous owner tried to repair some soft wood with a fiberglass patch of some sort. So, the soft area gave way and I need some new wood scarfted in, or repaired in a proper manner....any recommendations for wood repairs in Virginia? Thanks- Mike

mbigpops

Re: Wood repair in Virginia

Post by mbigpops » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:33 am

Hi Mike,

I cannot help on your Virginia repair recommendation but I will say that you should not have any rollers on your trailer or this will continue to happen. Your trailer should have all carpeted bunks for "float on" trailering where there is little or no contact with the bottom until your bow reaches the bow stop. The bow stop should be tall where the "catchers mitt" contacts the bow at the rub rail and the winch is above the deck.

You should remedy this before your repairs are completed to assure no repeats. If you want post a photo of your trailer setup and we can give you more specific advice.

Mark
1953 CC Rocket Runabout "Rocket Man"

jfrprops

Re: Wood repair in Virginia

Post by jfrprops » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:24 pm

You might looking up Gary Lowell in Greensboro N.C. his number is 336-227-2298 Known to some in Va....like SML guys.

John in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
19?? custom Argentine Runabout 16'
1954 Whirlwind deluxe dual ckpt 16'
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)