Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Newbie 1948 Runabout owner

Framing, planking and fairing. Repair, or reconstruction. If it's hull related, you'll find it here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

johnrdm

Newbie 1948 Runabout owner

Post by johnrdm » Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:19 pm

Hi,
I'm a new member of CCABC, and the new owner of a slightly-sad 17' 1948 Deluxe Runabout.
The KBL motor/transmission is out and I am in the process of rebuilding it - I have considerable classic auto experience, but no wooden boat experience.
The boat has been outside, under a carport style cover, since the 80's when the engine was removed due to excessive smoke. No other work was completed.
I've had it surveyed and the review was quite positive: It is all original (has been re-screwed), not rotten inside, decks need to be redone, entire boat re-screwed(!), some damage to the keel at the bow, bottom looks OK.
So my question(s) - and please excuse any incorrect terminology - still learning:
Should I start on the top, or flip it and deal with the bottom first?
As far as the bottom goes, I have been researching repairs/redoes, and it looks I have a few choices:
Strip both layers, discard inner layer and apply a 3M 5200 bottom (a layer of marine ply over the frames, with existing/renewed solid planking over top).
Strip and discard both layers, and apply a West System bottom of 3 (2?) layers of diagonal strips of marine ply over the frames. I believe this is a Cold Molded bottom.
Keep existing bottom and apply 2 (3?) layers of diagonal strips of marine over (kind of a West System over the existing bottom).
Keep the existing bottom and apply 2 layers of fiberglass over it - using Monel staples after the first layer.

Please let me know if this is correct, or if there are other options.

Thank you in advance,

John

PS: I am looking for a correct wheel, and the correct windshield brackets.

JimF
Club Executive Team

Re: Newbie 1948 Runabout owner

Post by JimF » Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:02 pm

You correct in thinking you should start from the bottom and I think most would agree that the 5200 system is the way to go. You should also use all new planking for the bottom as well. The old planks are just too tired and dried up. Take them off carefully and use them for patterns to easily make new planks. Good luck and keep us informed of your progress!
1930 Chris-Craft Model 100 20' "MOXIE"
1940 Chris-Craft Red and White 25' "Old Paint"
1946 Chris-Craft Sportsman 25' "CinCity"

johnrdm

Re: Newbie 1948 Runabout owner

Post by johnrdm » Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:32 pm

Hi, Just wanted to update the forum.
After some research I decided to go with a new 5200 bottom.
The boat has been stripped and flipped and the old bottom removed.
Most all of the structure is good, with the gripe etc and transom being the exceptions. I will be replacing these members with white oak.
Will be using 1/8" ply for the inner bottom, and I'm using Smiths Penetrating Epoxy on all wood.
All new silicone bronze screws and bolts below the waterline - not sure about on the brightside or deck - probably need to replace those too.
John