Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

18 Sea skiff 1956 component color schemes

This is a focused discussion area for information unique to Chris-Craft's Sea Skiff Division.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

truenorth01

18 Sea skiff 1956 component color schemes

Post by truenorth01 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:29 am

I was hoping for some feed back from fellow Skiff owners. I have a few small projects on my skiff that can be done this winter. First is the steering wheel and column with steering gear box. I can tell from the majority of photos I have seen that the steering wheel is period correct when "almond" or buff in color. What about the steering column? Mine is stark white. Should it be? Looks like it was a aersol job to me. Second, the port and starboard side storage lockers. They have mahogany lids but what about the sides. Buff, almond, or bright white or were they mahogany. If anyone out there has a color Sea Skiff sales brochure out there and could see what it shows that would be helpful. I am also pulling the fuel tank behind the bench seat to have it cleaned and certified safe. Should it be white too?

Mark
SK-18-414

Truenorth

kleiner

Re: 18 Sea skiff 1956 component color schemes

Post by kleiner » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:55 pm

I don't know what is correct, but I painted my steering column semi-gloss black and it looks good. The side storage seats have mahogany lids, but the sides and front are plywood. Mine were painted, and when I made new ones I painted them also.

Grant Stanfield

Post by Grant Stanfield » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:58 pm

I've seen the steering columns both in black or painted ivory to match the wheel (strip the column down and find the lowest color to see what it was originally; the side-step boxes had a mahogany lid but were painted the floor and bilge color (which was a sandy beige); the fuel tanks I've seen have been either unpainted galvanized metal or fire-engine red.

Good luck on your project- the 18 is a great skiff; I used to own SK-18-074, an early '55.
Sea Skiff brochure 2.jpg
column and side-step colors from catalog image
Grant Stanfield

SK-22-169 "DENBY"
1954 Chris-Craft 22' Open Sea Skiff

truenorth01

Post by truenorth01 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:58 am

Thanks for the brochure image Grant, it gives me a solid point of reference on those side boxes. I will scrape off some layers on the steering column and see what I get at the bottom layer.

I figure stripping the varnish on those lids will give me a good idea as to how hard the rest of the interior and transom will be.

Maybe its best not to know going in...........

Mark Saunders

SK-18-414
1956 18 Sea Skiff