Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Replacing Planks

This is a focused discussion area for information unique to Chris-Craft's Sea Skiff Division.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

motherofdog

Replacing Planks

Post by motherofdog » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:37 pm

Greetings Sea Skiff experts. This winter we are going to need to replace some below the waterline planks on our skiff.

I've got Don Danneberg's book and we'll be following that on how to do it.

Though, does anyone out there have some special tips to make the job less challenging and the end result more seaworthy?

Thanks in advance,

Jerri

kleiner

Post by kleiner » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:08 pm

I just finished replacing bottom planks on my 1958 18' Sea Skiff. Remove the screws into the stem, transom, and frames if you can, or cut through them (or around them with a small hole saw) if you need to. The screws will take time to remove, but since I did this as part of a complete reframing job, I was able to drill the problematic screw heads completely off and just pull the frame out from the inside removing the screw(s) with it. A left-handed drill bit is very useful and will often grab the screw and remove it while you are drilling.

Cut the copper clench nails and thiakol with a Fein Multimaster-type tool and use hardwood wedges to open up the lap. Keep tapping these in along the length of the lap - I found this tension also made it easier to cut the copper nails. I replaced two full-length planks per side (I scarfed the plywood before getting the planks out), and two sections per side with butt blocks. I suggest dry-fitting all planks together at one time to be sure you have the bevels right before gluing and screwing - it is easier to fine tune the bevels if you still have the ability to move or remove the planks, if needed.

Last edited by kleiner on Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

motherofdog

Post by motherofdog » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:03 pm

Thank you, thank you! DH ordered the fein multi-tasker and we're going to try to get most of the flooring and basketweave siding off so we can take it to the lake and watch where the water comes in. I bet we'll find more areas that need attention as we start pulling things off!

kleiner

Post by kleiner » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:03 pm

I am certain you will find other areas needing attention. The frames are one such area. My frames looked fine from the inside (where you can see), but most were rotten on the back side where they lie against the planking, especially at the turn of the bilge where the bend is greatest. I was able to easily snap many of these frames in two.

In fact, this was the whole reason for my removing and replacing planks - so I could properly fasten all of the new steam-bent frames into the engine stringers from below. Then I was glad to have replaced some of the planks, because while they also looked OK initially, after removing them it was apparent that they were delaminated in places.

Don't get discouraged, though! These are great boats...

motherofdog

Post by motherofdog » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:58 am

GREAT information! We sistered a number of ribs last winter... rotten all the way through. It never occured to us that the ones that looked good and solid might not be. We sistered because we couldn't get a new steam bent rib in, now we can kill 2 birds with one stone. We've taken the floor and sides off for better viewing and are taking her to the lake today to just put her in the water to see where it's coming in. Then we can work on our plan of attack for the winter. She'll be ship shape for spring 2011! We LOVE this boat, and every Sea Skiff owner we have met has been wonderful. Any and all info is greatly appreciated.

motherofdog

Post by motherofdog » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:46 pm

Follow up. We took the boat out to the lake today and found that one major leak is in the transome, where 2 boards meet...... easy fix.

Another looks like a bung has opened up.

I've got a couple very small leaks in between planks.

We've "sounded' the planks and they seem solid. nothing sounding off and nothing mushy. So we may have dodged the replanking bullet for 2011!

All good news! I'm keeping this thread for when we do need to replank. THANKS