Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Aluminum Hull corrosion Repair?

This is a focused discussion area for information unique to Chris-Craft's Roamer Division.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

737flynfish

Aluminum Hull corrosion Repair?

Post by 737flynfish » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:58 pm

So, I got my 1962 Chris Craft Roamer Silver Comet on a trailer so I can begin the restoration. I noticed about 15-20 paint blisters on the hull below the water line and a few around the struts. After scraping the paint off, I see there is white powder (like sea salt) and some pitting in the aluminum. I have a few ideas about repairing the pitting, but want to know what you all think.
First off I was thinking of having the bottom sand, or soda blasted to clean the corrosion and pitting.
1) fill the corrosion holes with a filler of some type( epoxy, boat bondo, ect...)
2) Can an Aluminum Welder fill in the corrosion? kinda like filling the pitting with hot metal?
3) or the obvious, Cut out the old holes and weld in new. And if I do this do I need to put backers or tabs on the inside to the hull since the repairs will not be on the seams.

Doug P

Re: Aluminum Hull corrosion Repair?

Post by Doug P » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:17 pm

Great boat....
If you Google ALUMINUM WHITE RUST, you will much find info and solutions. :idea:
DO NOT FORGET the bilge areas.

jfrprops

Re: Aluminum Hull corrosion Repair?

Post by jfrprops » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:52 pm

yes, check out solutions on the net.....I would avoid the alum welding by just any old boat yard type, takes a really skilled and experienced professional not to do more harm than good.

John in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
19?? custom Argentine Runabout 16'
1954 Whirlwind deluxe dual ckpt 16'
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)