Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Updating Gar Wood Registry

This is a general discussion area for those who are interested in Chris-Craft's connection with Gar Wood, the man, and the Company.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

motherofdog

Updating Gar Wood Registry

Post by motherofdog » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:08 am

Greetings all,

I am working with Michael Gomes to update the Gar Wood Registry. Historically the registry has been derived from the ACBS Directory. We have added all the owners/locations from the 2009 directory, however we would like to take the updated registry a step further by including known locations, hull #'s, boat names etc. of Gar Woods still in existance but not in the ACBS Directory.

Would anyone out there be willing to share this information? You can respond it a private message here (If it's o.k. with the forum administrator :) I plan on contacting the Clayton museum when they open also.

I'm hoping the results will be a comprehesive list, and to some extent history of the few remaining Gar Woods in existance.

Jerri Nowlen

Don Ayers
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Ayers » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:45 pm

Jerri;

Thank you for this post and for the efforts to keep the Gar Wood name alive.

I know the site of which you speak and have talked with that gentleman before. Your recent work to update things is great however I would like to make a suggestion if I may.

Bill Basler has built an incredible infrastructure for the first online world wide registry of antique and classic boats, trouble is no one knows about it yet in a general sense.

This online registry has more functionality than anything or anyone has done before. Please do not take this wrong as the work you, me and others have done in the past is extremely important.

But with time comes progress and now under the CCABC umbrella there is a fully interactive hull registry database with the capability of uploading pics and much more.

This registry would allow everyone no matter what brand to be under one roof so to speak.

So what am I trying to say here...

What about using the already established CCABC online registry as the master for the newly updated Gar Wood owners and existing hull information?

Open to comments and or suggestions.

PS. Here is a link to my Gar on the registry
http://www.chris-craft.org/registry/vie ... oat_id=508
Don Ayers
1959 Riva Ariston
www.RivaForum.org
www.barrelback.com

mattbyrne

Post by mattbyrne » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:39 pm

Jerri,

I agree with Don, the hull registry site that Bill has put together is exactly where the info should be.

If you need any help collecting or entering the info let me know. I'd be more than happy to help out.

Matt

motherofdog

Post by motherofdog » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:09 am

Thanks guys,

Since Michael is the leader of the pack on this I'll need to run it by him. With Gar Wood having their own website, he may want to keep them separate to make it easier for Gar Wood searchers.

Bill's hull registry is excellent and I've gotten a lot of extremely good information off of it.

LOVE the story on Ramona.

jer