Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Gar Wood Film Reel - 1926

This is a general discussion area for those who are interested in Chris-Craft's connection with Gar Wood, the man, and the Company.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Chad Durren

Gar Wood Film Reel - 1926

Post by Chad Durren » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:41 am

I hope the winner of the film reel on Ebay shares it with the rest of the us.

...if it turns out to be anything.

Description:
HERE IS A BLACK AND WHITE 16MM HOME MOVIE REEL. LABELED: 1926 DECORATION DAY MASONIC CLUB, IDLE HOUR, ROSS MEIRES BORN, GAR WOOD DETROIT YACHT CLUB, BROOKS ON VANS BOAT.

THE IDLE HOUR WAS A POPULAR BOATING HOTSPOT BAR HOTEL ON HARSENS ISLAND.

SHOULD BE WONDERFUL TIME CAPLULE OF THE DETROIT POWER BOATERS PARTY LIFE CIRCA 1926.

1952 CC 18' Sportsman
1969 CC 19' Commander Super Sport

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:29 pm

Chad, I discovered this one early and watched it until the end. I put a max bid on it of $307.50. It ended up going for $312.50.

I have an eBay app on my iPhone and I get a notification when the bidding is in it s last minutes. Unfortunately I got the notice right when I was driving through a black hole, and I could not get a fast enough connection to raise my bid before it closed.

I don't know who ended up with this. Does anyone know? I would love to guide the buyer through the process of having it digitized the right way.
Bill Basler

Wilson Wright

old GarWood moves

Post by Wilson Wright » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:47 pm

Bill: Speaking of which...How is the digitizing of the Gar Wood film I gave you and you were going to send me a copy ?

Wilson Wright
Executive Director Emeritus
Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club

1948 Deluxe

1926 Gar Wood film

Post by 1948 Deluxe » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:24 pm

Hello Bill,
I'm the fella who won the film on ebay awhile back. I had it digitized and is a really nice glimpse into activities at DYC. Alot of drinking takes place during prohibition. Some sailing, some runabouts, some outboards and, AA Schantz, and Gar Wood & Orlin on the decks of Miss America 3 and 5 at dock waving off other motor boats causing wake. Also Gar waving off the camera man in fun. I added some music and plan to put it on my web site. I showed the movie during a ACBS-WWC dinner, everyone really liked it. I also picked up a movie of Gar and some of his aircraft, have seen it yet.
Bob Shapton