Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Gar Wood 1929 28'

This is a general discussion area for those who are interested in Chris-Craft's connection with Gar Wood, the man, and the Company.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

cenger

Gar Wood 1929 28'

Post by cenger » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:39 pm

It’s been a while since there has been any activity in the Gar Wood section so I thought I would post a few photos of the restoration progress on my 1929, 28’ Gar Wood 28-30. This project was a bit outside of my skill set so thanks to Mike at Farm River Woodworking great progress has been made. Mike has done a fantastic job getting the 5200 bottom done in short order with exacting standards. Mike is a true craftsman, you can visit his site at http://www.farmriverwoodworkingllc.com. A bit of background on the boat. I found the boat in a barn in Wisconsin in 2011. It took some begging, pushing and a sincere promise to the owner that I would restore the boat to its original condition and keep it in my family. I plan to keep that promise! The boat was born with a Chrysler Imperial 120HP engine which is what the boat will be restored with. At one point the engine was replaced with a Scripps that caught fire then in the 70’s, then a kicker outboard motor was installed for commercial fishing use (you can see the board used for outboard in pictures). Next, Mike will move to phase 2 and begin the topside planking and recreating the cockpits that were removed for fishing. Enclosed is the link to google photos, have fun wasting more time with social media.
https://goo.gl/photos/6zf4NyvZN5ZrE9ve8
1935 Gar Wood 16-35
1929 Gar Wood 28-30

Greg Wallace

Re: Gar Wood 1929 28'

Post by Greg Wallace » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:28 am

Your boat must have a very interesting story given the "modifications" and I would enjoy hearing the story/history if you know it.
Congratulations on your find. Looking great so far...keep the info coming!!
Greg Wallace 23 Custom 22166 former Chris-Craft dealer Russells Point, Oh.