Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Pre-Chris Craft fiberglass production at Thompson Boats

Are you in need of information regarding "the way it was?" Or are you are a walking "who's-who" of Chris-Craft fiberglass boats? Share what you don't know—or do know here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Paul P
Location: Nashville, Tennessee, Cumberland River and Lake system

Pre-Chris Craft fiberglass production at Thompson Boats

Post by Paul P » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:15 am

Gosh I could hear the thunder building in the distance right after I typed that subject title!! 8)

Hello all, it is my understanding this did not happen.
In other words, fiberglass boat construction began at Cortland after Thompson was acquired by Chris Craft.

That is my understanding today, thanks in part to the research and good words from Andreas. However, four years ago (in 2007) when I wrote an article for Classic Boating, which just happened to appear this month out of the blue with no edits from me, I wrote that Thompson had a fledgling fiberglass operation at the time CC acquired them, and this info is in the article. During the 4 years after that article was penned, I have since done my own research, published two books on the subject and I now know better, so guys, when you see the article please be kind to Norm and Jim, as I led them astray with the comment and I will see that they publish the appropriate correction in the next issue. Norm and Jim are to be congratulated however, as they sure are sending out some positive information about fiberglass Chris Craft boats and this will be a good thing for the classic boating extended family because it will potentially bring a lot of enthusiasts into the fold.

One thing about getting old, you learn more (but you also forget more) and I guess there is a point of diminishing returns. I'm not sure just where I am in the curve right now, maybe it's time to go buy another basket case! :-)

best,

Paul
1956 17' CC Sportsman, 300-hp
1957 17' CC Sportsman, 95-hp
1966 20' CC fiberglass Sea Skiff, 210-hp+
1973 23' CC Lancer inboard project, 427/375-hp.
1966 38' CC Commander Express, 427/300-hp(2)

So many boats.........so little time.....but what a way to go!!

Don Ayers
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Ayers » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:44 pm

Paul;

I just got that issue and was at first just a bit hurt that you did not give the Brass Bell the article for publishing.

Thanks to this post I now understand better. They had that for four years...

Hmmm, I noticed a number of things different about this last issue. I wonder if anyone else did as well?
Don Ayers
1959 Riva Ariston
www.RivaForum.org
www.barrelback.com

Paul P

Post by Paul P » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:23 pm

Hello Don,

The history that goes along with an antique or classic boat is such a big part of the overall provenance (and fun) of owning one of these wood or glass antiques or classics, it is so much more than just a piece of plastic with a motor .

I was quite surprised to see the article, and I actually had forgotten I had even written it. You will note I mention the 1966 Skiff is 41 years old, which puts the article right about the time I was driving the Classic Boating photo boat (3 years in a row) at Mt. Dora, around 2007. We had actually talked about in a rather joking way that I should write a book. At the time it sounded pretty daunting, but after banging through that article and doing the research, I think that article was actually the stimulus to do the LEGACY book, which was then followed by another one later. Second one was a lot easier than the first.

After reading through the article now, there are a few things I would naturally edit a bit, but for the most part I think it is accurate, hopefully so. I would appreciate it if anyone does see an inaccuracy, to please let me know by just emailing me quietly at [email protected]

Since 2007 I have uncovered a fiberglass Thompson (by Chris Craft) however, that is an enigma to me, and it is also an enigma to Herb Pocklington, to Chris Smith, and to Dick Avery as well, and it seems to be a very early 1963 Thompson by Chris Craft that does not show up in ANY promo material I have ever seen, and it is sort of a prototype boat I think, perhaps a very very low production number.

Here are a couple photos of the boat. You'll note the side view has some resemblence of a 23 Lancer, but it is a flat profile at the transom and the hull is very awkward compared to the 1966 Wynne hull and Avery topsides. It has the same hardware as other boats out of Cortland (such as the chrome edge pieces I have on my 1966 Skiff and Bill has on his XL175), and also the Jetson aft light, and it uses the transition power system that CC quickly got away from (small block Ford power) in order to standardize to their basic small block Chevy format. So we are all reasonably sure it is a Chris, Herb, Chris, and Dick seem to remember it but it was such a blip on their radar screen at the time they do not recall any details. They (CC) retained the Thompson outdrive (transdrive) technology, however, and that is one of the spoils of war they got when they bought the Thompson (all of the outdrive technology, and the supply line as well). This boat most likely represents the initial effort by Chris Craft to put a fiberglass boat on the market, and you will note that little interceptor setup was also used on Bill's XL175 too (although his particular boat used the 4 cylinder, the small V8 was an option).

It is interesting to know Thompson was building essentially "the same boat" in wood or glass around this time frame, I have brochures showing both at the same tim, giving the buyer a choice and also testing the market. However, I have never seen the first brochure showing this particular boat. In any case, it is an early one, and some of the details look crude, perhaps it was a test mule, or certainly a "bridge product" as Herb would say.

Regards,
best,

Paul

thompsonboatboy

Post by thompsonboatboy » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:59 pm

I just read the "Classic Boating" article. I noted the inaccuracy about Thompson Boat Co. of New York, Inc. having their toes in a fiberglass program prior to the purchase by Chris-Craft in January 1962. As you know, this is not true. Thanks Paul for the explanation.

Also, the new fiberglass Corsair plant at Cortland was not built next to the wooden Thompson Boat plant. It was across town, a few miles away.

My article in the same issue about Crownline was submitted to the magazine more than 1 1/2 years ago.

I met Bruce Thompson, son of Bob Thompson, this past Saturday on Lake Minnetonka, MN. Had a nice chat.

Maybe see ya at Lake Geneva?

Cheerio.

Andreas

Paul P

Post by Paul P » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:59 am

Hi Andreas,

Janet and I are both headed for Geneva, hope to see you, Don, Bill, Wilson, and many others there. Should be a great time.

best,

Paul