Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

What a mess, HELP!!!!!

Are you in need of information regarding "the way it was?" Or are you are a walking "who's-who" of Chris-Craft fiberglass boats? Share what you don't know—or do know here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

seal2058

What a mess, HELP!!!!!

Post by seal2058 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:03 pm

I bought a 1984 Chris Craft last year. Right before I was sent over seas to Iraq. I have not been able to find any information to help identify what type it is. I know the base measurement is 17'6" the capacity plate says it is 18 feet 10 series. I have added some pictures to any one that might help. I am tring to restore it back to an original condition.

Wood Commander

Post by Wood Commander » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:58 pm

Your boat appears to be a Chris Craft Scorpion. The Scorpion was the next generation of CC Sport Boats after the Lancer and XK's from the Cortland, NY plant. I think 1978 or 1979 would have been the first years for Scorpions. This was during the Murray-Chris Craft years prior to the bankruptcy and purchase of the company by OMC, who are ironically also now bankrupt.

I think the Scorpion line was built in the newer Forida plants, but I don't know for sure. Maybe someone else does?

Also, the Scorpions seem to be the first generation of Sport Boats to start using Mercruiser powertrains rather than the Chris Craft or Chris Craft/Marine Power marine conversion engines. Some of the smaller boats like yours may have been outboard powered.

In any event, you should find a hull number on the upper right corner of the transom somewhere, probably right below where the trim edge covers where the upper deck section and the hull join together. Also, look on your title for the hull number. The hull number will be your first step in tracing the history of your boat.

I'm not too sure that "Chris Craft, The Essential Guide" or the Mariner's Museum Chris Craft Archives support materials for Chris Crafts' after 1977. But when The Mariner's Museum Research Library comes back online early next year you could give them your hull number and give it a try. If your lucky they can supply you with a research package for your boat.

If The Mariner's Museum cannot help you, there are many Scorpion owners out there that can probably help you. I used to own a 23' Scorpion with a Mercruiser/Chevy 350/260 hp. So I have a little experience with them.
Bret

1953 35' Commander "Adonis III"

1970 23' lancer project

seal2058

Thank you for the info.

Post by seal2058 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:11 am

I have been doing some research in this area. I have now found out that with the MIC the first three characters in the Hull it was and OMCcc, during the puriod that OMC and Chris craft were together. I do have to thank you for the info on the engine/ power train. Mine does have a Mercruiser in it. So this does point me in the right direction. Thank you so much. I am still willing to hear from anybody else.