Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

JUST BOUGHT A 71 XK-19 NEED HELP

Are you in need of information regarding "the way it was?" Or are you are a walking "who's-who" of Chris-Craft fiberglass boats? Share what you don't know—or do know here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Bad Ass Boat

Post by Bad Ass Boat » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:35 pm

8) Hi I'm brand new on this site guys this is my first posting. I bought a 71 Chris Craft XK-19 that needs work. Thanks God its all there original paint original interior the engine has not been touched. I've been looking for over a month on ebay, the internet for a shop manual for this boat. There isnt anything out there its like they never made these boats! It has the 350 FLV with a volvo drive. I read that the engine is rated at 300 hp is this correct. I have no info on this boat. Are any of you guys knowledgeable on these boats I want to leave it as original as possible. What color of paint do I need to repaint the engine the original Chris Craft blue? Shes really been beat bad. No cover with snow in it! you know the drill!Thanks Roger

Thommyboy

Post by Thommyboy » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:45 pm

There may not be an Owner's Manual for the boat. You can possbly find manuals for the engine and outdrive (if it's an I/O).

There was an article in a recent "Brass Bell" magazine about proper Chris-Craft blue paint tones for engines.

Most liekly your boat was built at the Cortland, NY plant. The hull ID/serial number will give clues.

Andreas

Don Ayers
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Ayers » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:15 pm

Hello and congrats on a very cool find. Hope you take her back to original.

The correct paint for that motor should be the CC Blue from Midwest. You can order it from

www.classicboatconnection.com

Post some pics for us to see.
Don Ayers
1959 Riva Ariston
www.RivaForum.org
www.barrelback.com

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:43 pm

Roger, have no fear, I have the entire engine and outdrive manual for the 350FLV scanned. It is a rather large file size as it is over 100 pages. I will get it into the archive as soon as possible. Until then, I will post a link here so the XK guys can download. I'll try to do this before Monday.
Bill Basler

vince xk19

Post by vince xk19 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:39 pm

Hello Roger,

Congratulation on your new xk19 purchase, these are truly classic boats, and welcome to this great Chris Craft community. You will find many people that are knowledgeable on the xk19s, and many that have a tremendous amount of knowledge about Chris Crafts and boats in general. If you have specific questions let us know and I am sure someone will be able to help you out.

I know Bill is going to post the 350FLV manual, thanks Bill, but in the mean time if you send me the engine serial number which is on the right side exhaust manifold I can help you with the HP rating.

Also if you if you would like you can register your boat at the xk19 Project. I am compiling data for all xk19 enthusiasts and would love to have your boat added to our growing xk19 database.

Thanks,
Vince
[email protected]

Bad Ass Boat

Thanks Guys!

Post by Bad Ass Boat » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:42 pm

:D Thanks for the reply on my 19 Chris Craft. If I put up some pics you guys going to be mad at me? She looks pretty bad but I've seen worse. I contacted the company for the engine paint. The engine was sezied then I put some rust solution in the cylinders. Finally got it partily broken lose but not all the way. Im going to pull the heads and take a look at the clylinders. Im hoping to be able to use a ball hone on the cylinders and put it back together. If the cylinders are really bad, Im going to pull the engine and rebuild it. The cylinders have light rust nothing heavy like from a head gasket leaking. Just from not being fogged. I have a lot of projects to do other wise I just go ahead and pull it now. If I can just get it running for now and go through the interior and drive and wiring I would be really happy. Then next year go completly through the engine. I want to buff out the original paint for now. Thanks Roger

dustoff135

Post by dustoff135 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:37 pm

Welcome Roger,

I purchased a 1971 XK19 last October and I'm in the process of restoration. Mine was also mostly original except for a few extra add-ons like cleats, horn and search light. It was also in running condition so I'm extra lucky. I am having a great time doing the work on this fine machine.

I'm sure other folks here would love to see pictures of your acquisition. I know I would, especially the engine and interior. My hull # is 2016, so I would love to be able to do a comparison. I'm finding there can be many differences between models, even in the same production year. Any thing you can provide that will help with mine or other memebers research would be gr4eatly appreciated.

Patrick

rgmxk22

Post by rgmxk22 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:46 am

Hi All,

I might be able to help a little since I own a 1972 CC XK22, with the 350FLV. I've had mine for about 10 years and I have never found a CC engine manual that it specific to the early 350FLV engine.

Now once I did post an ad on the Brass Bell looking for a manual and the one reply was from a guy in Michigan that worked in the CC parts department. Sorry his name escapes me at the moment.

He told me that the early 350FLVs and I'd guess the 302FLV too, were sort of a collection of parts that CC already had to assemble engines. So it one of these and a few of those off the parts shelf and WOW, we have an engine.

What he told me to do was find a manual and parts book for the 283 F or FLV series CC engines. Either book will cover the basic engine, but the FLV book will cover the stuff on the Volvo outdrive.

He said that this is just about as close as you'll find for the early 350FLV. Now by early I mean before CC engine serial number 620001 on the 350FLV. (my engine is serial number 611332) That is because I have seen and own a copy of a CC manual/parts book for the later 350FLV.

There are quite a few differences between the early and late serial number 350FLVs. From what I see, CC changed the cooling system/water pumps and if I remember correctly there were some differences in the fuel pump/filter set ups.

Now there is an owners manual for the early engines, I have a copy of that too. It took me a while to find it, but I also bought a copy from the CC archives at the Mariner's Muesuem in VA.

Also, there are genuine Volvo Outdrive manuals and parts books out there. I found mine on ebay and they are a lot more helpful when it comes to buying Volvo parts. In a lot of cases, the CC parts books will show their part numbers and not Volvo numbers. When you go to most Volvo parts dealers, the CC numbers don't mean much to them and they can't cross them over to Volvo numbers. So try and find a Volvo book it you can.

Besides, in the CC manuals for the FLV engines I have, for the most part CC just reprinted the genuine Volvo owner's manual section in the CC book.

So that's about all I know about finding manuals for the FLVs in our XKs.
Ron

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:51 pm

There is a 1971 manual in the archives titled:

1971 Chris-Craft 350 FLV High Performance Thermocon Marine Engines and Outboard Drive Owner's Manual

Just use the browse feature to go directly to it. It is in the manuals section.

A search for "350 FLV" will also take you right to it.
Bill Basler

Bad Ass Boat

Thanks for the reponse on the manulal

Post by Bad Ass Boat » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:56 am

Ill go on the website and look up the manual. Its really werid its easier to find an original manual for a 40s or 50s CC than it is for a XK-19. Go figure. Thanks a bunch for the info! 8)

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:02 am

Strangely that is true of a lot of the post war documentation. As the Company went through changes in ownership, bankruptcies and so on, a lot of the documents that we all seek more than likely met the dumpster.
Bill Basler

mike xk19

XK19

Post by mike xk19 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:32 pm

I finished a complete restoration of a 1971 XK19. Of course the original boats all had the gel coat the color of the boat. If it was painted you can look in an area that has the original color. You can either re-gel coat or paint the original color or color of your choice. The engine is painted Chris Craft Blue.

mike

Peter XK19

Pics?

Post by Peter XK19 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:04 pm

Hey Mike, have we seen any pics of your restored XK-19?

If you feel like it please share with us.