Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Stinger 202, a CC Hot Rod

Are you in need of information regarding "the way it was?" Or are you are a walking "who's-who" of Chris-Craft fiberglass boats? Share what you don't know—or do know here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

THE RAZZ

Stinger 202, a CC Hot Rod

Post by THE RAZZ » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:53 am

All,
Chris Craft manufactured the 39' Stinger for the Miami Vice TV show in the mid 1980's. 15 different size Stingers [20.3' to 41'] followed. This 202 was manufatured in 1987 and is the smallest off-shore racer type boats CC made. The Stinger has a fiberglass hull, is 20.33 feet long and 92 inches wide. The boat weighs approximately 1500 pounds with an empty fuel tank.

Configuration- Stinger's are set up as off-shore racers with a single aft amidship cockpit for three. The wheel is in the center with so-called throttle and trim person on either side [the 202 is a single operator boat while larger versions may require a crew].
Originally, 202 Stingers were powered by a Mercruser 195HP V-6 that claimed to go 50MPH.
Click this and turn the volumue up- way up. http://www.splashvision.com/Video/6576_ ... ly-by.html

Some are now re-powering the 202's with small block Chevy's.
The Alpha One needs the new heavier gears and different prop to accomodate the increased power.
The a small block powered 202 is very aggressive and some claim it will do 65MPH.
Click this and turn the volumue up- way up for a different 202 flyby.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_wyvOUq ... re=related

The cockpit ergonomics are good. Its easy to monitor the engine with the instrument layout which includes, voltage, oil psi, RPM, speedometer, water temp, fuel level & I/O trim position. The transmission, throttle and I/O pitch control are in one lever and easy to operate throughout the speed range. This 202 has a "silent power" system where a dash button activates a baffle sending exhaust under water through the I/O drive when in a noise sensitive area. The twin 4" stainless steel exhaust stacks sound beefy like a super Harley at idle.

This 21 yr old [202] lends herself to a makeover. Here is the Raceline Graphics package we are adding to bring out the hottie in her.
Last edited by THE RAZZ on Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

3ngin33r1

Post by 3ngin33r1 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:08 pm

Nice!
Marcus

Current Toys:
2005 Triumph Rocket III #1/200
2003 Honda S2000 #3414
1959 Chris Craft Conqueror C-40-109

Sold Toys:
2006 Ariel Atom 2 300SC
2001 Bell 430
1997.5 Hummer H1 HMCS
1997 Honda CBR1100XX Super Blackbird

I've played in the air and on land. Now it's time for the sea...

Semper Fidelis

THE RAZZ

Post by THE RAZZ » Thu May 08, 2008 10:54 pm

Stinger graphics make over is now underway. Raceline Digital Graphics arrived.

Removing the 21 year old graphics that are baked on is an issue. Modern products to the rescue. Astro Eraser which attaches to a variable speed drill "erases" the old faded graphics with little effort while not touching the gell coat. Off with the old; on with the new.

Pictures to follow.

THE RAZZ

Post by THE RAZZ » Sun May 11, 2008 10:53 pm

Astro Eraser works!
It took an hour per side to remove the color trim below the rub rail and the word "stinger." Not bad compared to hairdryer technique. Astro Eraser is best solution for this graphics removal so far.

Next issue- The "Stinger" decal-sticker protected the gelcoat form UV and that section is brighter-newer looking than other parts of the hull.

Will try 3M rubbing compound on the gelcoat to see if the edges of that patch will blend so it isn't so obvious. This isn't intended as a show boat but it looks tacky with that big bright shinny patch.

More to follow.

THE RAZZ

Post by THE RAZZ » Mon May 12, 2008 10:02 pm

Update- Astro Eraser ($12 Federated Auto Parts dealer) took off the 21 yr old graphics with amazing ease. The gelcoat under the graphics didn't suffer UV fade and is "bright" compared to the rest of the hull.

Using 3M rubbing compound and slow speed buffer, gelcoat was rubbed out trying to harmonize the differences between exposed and unexposed areas. Work continues without much luck reducing this visual blight.

Help. All suggestions, short of a new gelcoat, are welcome.

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Mon May 12, 2008 10:59 pm

Jerry, I have experienced the same problems on many boats. Many refer to this degradation as oxidation and it is really that...at least when it starts. But, if allowed to go deeper, the gel will develop small, almost microscopic crazing, that runs pretty darn deep at times.

I have successfully wet sanded a bunch of boats. If it is really nasty fade, you can start with a piece of well used 600 grit. Keep it brief though. Don't go crazy with the 600. Follow this with 1500, then 2000. By the time you get to 200 the color should look good while wet...that is while you have the garden hose creating a sheet of water.

Then, start in with the buffer. I like 3M Super Duty. This is also pretty aggressive stuff so watch your edges, clean you surface often and pay close attention to what you're doing.

I finish up with 3M Finesse-it or Finesse-it 3000. Both are really fine products.

The only unknown is how many time your boat has been detailed prior. If it has led a rough life and has been aggressively buffed a lot, you ned to be careful of gel thickness.
Bill Basler

THE RAZZ

Post by THE RAZZ » Tue May 13, 2008 12:03 am

Bill,
Thx. This is just what I was looking for. A step by step. This is my first "tupper ware" boat. That means a big learning curve. When the XK series showed up here last year it really got my attention. I wanted something hot to run on SF Bay since the Razz isn't going there. And the Stinger is it.

The gelcoat doesn't appear to be in "bad" shape or overly detailed. But, I'd have to leave that to an expert to determine. I'll work the oxidation gradually trying to make it less noticeable if not perfect- this is our user boat. It has to look good but not go over the "edge" like a concours presentation.

Raceline Digital Graphics put together a nice package for the Stinger. Plus, this winter, the 350 gets "the treatment" with SS braided hose, chrome this and that- stuff.

Speaking of stuff- A good friend who we run with on the Lake and Delta has a Glen-L 19' runabout that looks alot like a CC 1954 racing runabout. He's a cabinet maker. Jim Blake would marvel at Rich's craftmenship. I saw the Glen-L engine last sunday for the first time since the winter makeover. Yikes. Polished aluminum, chrome, braided SS hoses and lines........wow! All in a homemade Glen-L that starts you thinking about ground up building.

There's no way to present a Glen-L in our CC world. But it would be nice. He calls it Rememberance- an homage to the wood boat period. You have to see a 19' wooden runabout making 50 mph with the Stinger to believe. What a sight.........and sound-16 cylinders hauling through 4" exhaust pipes.....Harley's never sounded so good.

Best wishes for a great boating season and thanks for the suggestions as well as praise for the terrific work here on The Buzz and Brass Bell.
JT

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Tue May 13, 2008 12:13 am

How about member Steve Van Dam who is building some of the finest high-tech wood boats on the market? A wood lamination schedule that is a high tech mixture of solid exotic woods, space age composite woods, lightweight cored panels here and there, all vacuum-bagged and finished like a Ferarri.

Oh...and then there's the powerplants...

Bill Basler

THE RAZZ

Post by THE RAZZ » Tue May 13, 2008 12:30 am

Steve produces boats that go beyond dreams. When my lotto ticket comes up, the first flight will be to Van Dam's office for The Project. It could happen.

In the meantime, I'm retired and available as Steve's wheelman. Come to daddy.
Last edited by THE RAZZ on Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

THE RAZZ

Post by THE RAZZ » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:09 am

Stinger update- We've had the Stingert on San Francisco Bay 4 times. What a ride.

Friday, my son and I shot out of Jack London Square heading for San Francisco. Cruising the waterfront under the Bay Bridge past the ferry building with the Transamerica Building and Coit Tower in the background. Nothing but fun.

Then, on the way back approaching the Oakland estuary, we spot a woody running on the bay. That's unusual. Putting the hammer down, the Stinger jumping and skipping on 1' seas closed on the woody. We found daddy and his kids touring the Port of Oakland container operations in their 1963 Chris Craft sportsman. What a sight. Two CC's now yapping about boats while watching containers loading. Small world.

Today the Stinger hauls us around the Delta for a Father's Day romp where we look for a hamburger lunch. Happy Father's Day to all.

Boat hard.

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:00 pm

Jerry, I trust you gave him an application!!
Bill Basler

THE RAZZ

Post by THE RAZZ » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:43 pm

Bill,
I was thwarted by the song from the Stingers 4" exhaust pipes. However, we will carry applications in the future.

Yesterday my son and I took the Stinger on the Delta. Wow. She flys. Finding open stretches, we'd let her rip at 55mph. She shows 4K RPM. Redline should be 5800 but we're not brave enough for that. What a ride.

We find the mid ship seating great for comfort. It doesn't feel like jumping wakes will collapse a vertabre. Then there's the E-Type Jag long foredeck that is very cool.

All good things come to an end. We broke an extern oil line and had to be towed (vessel assist) to port- grrrr. The Gold Unlimited BoatUS towing service ($145) came in handy with the $650 bill. Wow.

THE RAZZ

blew the rear main oil seal

Post by THE RAZZ » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:42 am

Father's Day update- it wasn't an external oil line; the rear main oil seal blew out. Go figure.

While running on a fast stretch (55mph), we noted the oil pressure dropped from 40 to 20 psi. Coming off the power, we noted the pressure went up as the Stinger came of the plane changing angles. We were sure there was an issue with the oil supply. That was a concern because two hours earlier the oil was at the top mark.

Opening the hatch we could see 3-4 quarts of oil in the bilge. Rats.

It turns out the 350 Chevy blew the rear main's oil seal. Vessel Assist came to the rescue.

It turns out some 350s have a two piece oil seal and they won't hold up in marine use. There is an after market one piece seal that solves the problem. Plans are to convert after pulling the engine. More to follow as repairs progress.

There's nothing like a quick Delta run to send us to the repair shop. Grrrrrrr.

THE RAZZ

oil in the bilge

Post by THE RAZZ » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:15 pm

oil in the bilge update-
It turns out, none of the above caused the catastrophic oil failure. The 350 Chevy's oil pan cracked. There was no impact to damage the pan. It took a while sort the problem out.

Oil weighs about 6lbs a gallon. The Stinger, running at +50kts, jumps and hits with probably +3 g's. Nearly 30 lbs of oil smacking the tin oil pan work hardened the metal (just like crushing a Coke can repeatedly) until it cracked.

Solution- installed a Moros marine oil pan. Problem solved.

When the orginal pan was removed, we were surprised to note the the oil pickup scoop on the oil pump was laying in the bottom of the pan. The original is pressed into the oil pump and undergoing severe pounding can fall off leaving the oil pump near the top of the oil supply.

Solution- Moros makes a marine oil pump pickup that bolts to the oil pump. Once installed it won't come off if you beat it with a hammer.

The Stinger now has 70 hrs of very aggressive running on the San Francisco Bay. So far, so good.

Just a note- This Stinger is re powered from the original 177hp V-6 with a 330-HP Goodwrench 350 small block. The Stinger indicates a top end of +60kts. The 350 is a perfect balance for the boat. Above 45Kts it she often comes out of the water coming back down hitting transom first in perfect balance.

The biggest problem is the wind noise. I was concerned the engine exhausting through 4" stainless steel stacks would be a problem. Its the wind that gets to me. I've experimented with ear plugs and various ear muffs. Latest attempt to attenuate the wind noise is a new FlightCom intercom. I'm hoping to carry on a normal conversation while operating at speed.
1942 CC barrelback & 1987 CC Stinger 202
1942 17' barrelback 71923
1987 21' CC Stinger