Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Interior and Back Deck Walls

Leather, Tolex or Russaloid. Linoleum or black rubber matting. If it's in the cockpit or in the cabin, post your questions and answers here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Randar35

Interior and Back Deck Walls

Post by Randar35 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:38 pm

In my 1959 Connie I am rebuilding, the original owner or even the original material on the interior Cabin walls and Exterior Deck sides was a whitesided pegboard material. I am looking for Ideas as to what material works best on the walls and sides. Have considered some of that new "Engineered" decking material or even Toughboard with a vinal or ruberized facia. Any Suggestions?

At 20% rebuild right now. She is Stripped and dry. All new glass, new deck sole and and exterior decking are next. Marine grade allgrip paint. Arctic white with a toreador Red Boot Stripe. Fiberglass over cabin etc... Lots to do!!!

~R~

Randall M. Tyle

Owner of the

"Costa Lotta" Marcola, Oregon

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:28 pm

Randall,
The "Pegboard" paneling may be original (or re-done as original). I guess their intent was to have some ventilation behind the panels.

I replaced the aft deck panels with painted Lauan. The interior panels on mine are refinished originals. They had been re-painted several times, leaving the holes botched with paint. It would have been a lot easier to start with new.

There's a brochure in ARCHIVES that includes our boat (mine is a 1960 but they didn't change). It shows the pegboard panels.

A vinyl covered panel would probably work well on the interior paneling but may not hold up well on the aft deck. My preference is to stay with the original as much as possible and will eventually replace the aft deck panels to look more original.

Why not consider canvas on the cabin roof? It's original and looks great. The canvas is flexible, fiberglass is likely to crack, leak and could cause rot in the plywood roof. These boats flex a lot.

Al

Tom Kenny

Post by Tom Kenny » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:10 pm

On my Connie, I had some of that original pegboard panels in my owners closets. They were shot and falling apart from leaking decking. With the decking repaired, I replaced them with Luan panels.

You can see and read about it on the boats web site – click on “Repairs” and then select “Owners Cabin”.
Tom Kenny
1961 55' Chris Craft Constellation
Independence - ftkltd.com

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:50 pm

We call that stuff "pegboard". I wonder if someone else thought it was a stylish paneling when it was first introduced and the CC folks thought so too. Maybe later someone invented little peg attachments to use on the stuff and renamed it "pegboard".

As I mentioned, I used lauan for the aft deck panel replacements but after all the work of restoring the original cabin panels I'm considering changing the others back to the original look. Today it's obviously pegboard but it must have looked cool in '59 & '60.

Al

boatmanscm

Post by boatmanscm » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:35 am

you might check out the perferated vinyl, (may) be replaced with auto vinyl depending on the size holes . the auto line of vinyls offer many color choices and are made for the seating area ,so would hold up well. as i have not found anything exactly as original.
Stanley Marshall CUSTOM UPHOLSTER ,
Over 100 boats , @[email protected]