Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Adhesive for linoleum

Leather, Tolex or Russaloid. Linoleum or black rubber matting. If it's in the cockpit or in the cabin, post your questions and answers here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

George Emmanuel

Adhesive for linoleum

Post by George Emmanuel » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:35 pm

Hoping Don Dannenberg will chime in:--What is the recommended adhesive to use for new linoleum to wood? The boat is a 1955 17' Sportsman. I cold use standard flammable contact cement but I'm curious to see what the best way is. It is new marine plywood and has been coated with CPES.

George

kiitos

Re: Adhesive for linoleum

Post by kiitos » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:51 am

My suggestion would be to use the product that the linoleum manufacturer recommends. I used Forbo Marmoleum on two restorations and the company that sold it also sold the adhesive.
Mike
'78 Chris Craft 30' Sportsman
'49 Chris Craft 25' Sportsman - Twin "K"s

maritimeclassics

Post by maritimeclassics » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:31 am

I wouldn't and don't glue the flooring down. The main reason is that if you need to get to the bilge (which everyone should do to clean properly) you can't get to the screws to remove the floor. If it is glued you would ruined the flooring trying to remove it. I have had to about destroy nice flooring to do a repair many times and if they would have not glued it down we could have removed it, fixed the problem and put it back with no extra cost to the customer. On most boats that had linoleum they had some kind of trim that held it down up by the kick panel in the front cockpit which is really the only place it might move. The rest of the flooring in the boat sits flat and shouldn't move if cut to fit properly.
Family member of Chris Craft founder
Owner of Maritime Classics
http://www.maritimeclassics.com
Ph# 231-486-6148

Restoration Projects:
1936 25' Gar Wood Custom
1947 Ventnor Hydroplane
1957 17' Deluxe Runabout
1948 25' Chris Craft Sportsman Twin
1959 19' Sliver Arrow Hull #75
1929 26' Chris Craft Custom Runabout
1937 25' Chris Craft Custom Runabout

Don Danenberg

Post by Don Danenberg » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:00 am

I would also recommend NOT gluing it down.
In the early CC's with rubber mats, the factory used very few screws with upholstery washers, like 5 in the fwd cockpit and 0 or 2 in a flat section aft.

The only original factory installation I've seen glued down was a 1946, 25-Sportsman, and only the face of the kick and the motorbox sides.., vertical surfaces, all else flat was free-floating. Some utilities have a perimeter trim piece over ceiling planks to hold the edge down (3/8" x 1-1/4", round-over on top)?

You may one day need to replace a tach or choke cable, or maybe re-run wiring or repair a log-hit plank? You really should have access to remove all floorboards.

There is also double-faced tape?
Last edited by Don Danenberg on Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

George Emmanuel

Post by George Emmanuel » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:56 pm

Thanks for the insight. I'm particular about keeping the bilge clean and being able to access it. I never knew the linoleum free floated. I, in anticipation of this sort of thing, ordered some "T" molding from Jamestown for the express purpose of holding the edges along the engine side. It is fastened through the side rather than through the top and for the most part, won't be seen. I forgot that the strip along the bottom ceiling board helps hold down the outside edge.

On another note, there was a segment on one of the fixer-upper shows where the restoration group found 100 year old linoleum under some later replacement flooring. They mentioned something about feeding the linoleum to keep it in good shape?---Any idea of what they may be talking about?

George