Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

finally

Repair, or reconstruction. Gelocat or structural fiberglass. If it's hull related, you'll find it here

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Peter XK19

finally

Post by Peter XK19 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:24 pm

Hey everybody,

I finally got my next xk-19 out of the body shop where Ive had it for waaaaay toooooo long. The whole original deck had to be replaced, so thats been done.This time around we used vinylester, instead of the more common polyester, wich is a little trickier to work with but it gives you a product that is alot better in all aspects really. We also ended up replacing all the core material in the hull, with new inner transom and new stringers.
The hull was turned upside down and after sandblastering we blueprinted the performance parts of the hull so they are now absolutly perfect. The hull then received new spray gelcoat that was sanded down from 120 to 240 to 360 to 600 to 800 and all the way down to 1000.

My early intention was to paint the boat with awlgrip but with gelcoat you get a much nicer "boaty" feeling.

Thats it for now

Peter

www.xk19.com

evansjw44

Pictures

Post by evansjw44 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:30 pm

Pretty boat. You can't see how nice it is from the shine. Maybe you'll have to get some of that media "no-shine" spray to dull it down so it takes good pictures.

Please excuse the humor, It really does look good.

THE RAZZ

Post by THE RAZZ » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:50 pm

Peter,
Thanks for all the information you've provided in threads re the XK series and your work on them. This XK looks great. Please keep us posted with pictures as you make progress with this one. Also, do you have any more action shots of the XK's? Any chance you put can put some XK pictures operating at speed on video on YouTube?

Nice work. Thanks.

Wilson Wright

XK-19

Post by Wilson Wright » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:39 am

There was a rea;;y mice XK 19 on a trailer at Mt. Dora/Tavares
Wilson Wright
Executive Director Emeritus
Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club

dustoff135

Post by dustoff135 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:05 am

Peter, it looks fantastic. Definitely a motivator for continuing with my project.

The chrome has been re-plated and I recently re-painted the dashboard, which looks brand new once again. The engine is coming out in the next week or so.

Patrick

Peter XK19

Post by Peter XK19 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:54 am

THE RAZZ wrote:Peter,
Thanks for all the information you've provided in threads re the XK series and your work on them. This XK looks great. Please keep us posted with pictures as you make progress with this one. Also, do you have any more action shots of the XK's? Any chance you put can put some XK pictures operating at speed on video on YouTube?

Nice work. Thanks.

Thank you Razz,
here are a couple pics.

If you want to know how the XK-19s handle at full speed I can tell you they are great compared to similar boats. The hull bottom is 24 dgr just like the offshore boats. In fact the man that designed the hull for these boats actually came upp with the 24 dgr idea and had it patented! Kind of cool I think. He was the late Jim Wynne.

But if you compare the xk-19s to super fast boats anyone can see they are either too short or too wide.
And also the real fast boats always need all weight as far back as possible. I myself would never consider owning a V-drive beacuse of this ,and also the v-drive boats with their angled prop axel tend to drive the nose of the boat down. When renovating my boats I move the gastank as far back as I can find possible and I never keep anything under the fore deck, simply beacause of wheight distribution.

Wilson Wright

XK-19 and shorter Corsair

Post by Wilson Wright » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:20 am

Peter:

The same seems to hold true for the shorter version of the XK-19 which is the 1970 17' Corsair. Not sure about the deadrise angles but bet they are not far off. Wish Jimmy Wynne was still with us, he could tell. He was high school classmate, good friend and fraternity brother.

Once my Corsair gets her nose down and up on a plane she runs fine and fairly smooth in a light chop as many saw at Mt. Dora last week, Fuel tank is about as far back as they could put it. The prior owner did install small planing fins on the back but I suspect because they also serve as steps and are more convenient than lugging a boarding ladder around.

A fellow named Bill Wheeler found an identical 17 footer in N.C. It will be interesting to see how she runs, if he gets and restores her.
Wilson Wright
Executive Director Emeritus
Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:14 pm

I can certainly testify to the ride Wilson's Corsair gives in a tight turn. It felt like she was tipped up at that angle at least once while we were chasing down boats in the film photo shoot. That was a thrill.

Al