Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Chrome

Bronze, stainless, chrome or steel. If you need information about the hardware on your classic fiberglass Chris-Craft, pose your questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

dustoff135

Chrome

Post by dustoff135 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:50 am

I know this can be one of those areas where you can be very happy with the end product or not-so-much so. One of the first to-do items for me will probably be re-plating hardware on my XK19, nothing makes a statement like new shine.

Can anyone recommend reputable chrome shops, and if so, are they prohibitively expensive? I'm still on a budget. Are they able to estimate cost? Could they estimate cost based on detailed photos?

I also will need one deck vent(1971 XK19). One of mine has a big dent, not sure it can be saved. Not sure on the part #, I'll have the boat next week and can supply it at that time. :?

Patrick

THE RAZZ

Oakland and the XK-19

Post by THE RAZZ » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:15 am

Pat,
I can't help you with these issues but I've been following your threads.

I live in Oakland, CA. Your XK-19 was shipped out of Oakland if I recall. Small world. Another case of six degrees of separation. I've wanted an XK for salt water operations on the Bay, so your threads are close to our heart. Please keep us posted on your restoration. I was sold on the XK series after seeing the pictures from the Swedish restoration that came up six months ago.

good luck
1942 17' barrelback 71923
1987 21' CC Stinger

vince xk19

Post by vince xk19 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:33 am

Hey Patrick,

As you know I will need to re-chrome all the parts on my 1970 xk19 that I just got a few weeks ago. I can't wait to get the restoration started.

I just thought I would pass along some information I got from Tim (tgbcrazy) here at the site. He said that he had excellent results from Advanced Plating in TN. He could not believe how good the chrome came out and that the items looked brand new. He did also mention that it cost a few bucks, but at least you know the end results will be exceptional. Here is their information.

Advanced Plating
1425 Cowan Court
Nashville, TN 37207
800-588-6686

I also wanted to thank you for participating in the XK19 Registry Project by sending me your hull number and other boat information. This will work if everyone participates. If any other owners would like to help out and send there xk19 information along I would appreciate it. The sooner we get information the better, and soon we will all have a valuable resource available to reference as we pursue our interest in the xk19.

Please check out XK19.net

Thanks again,
Vince

[email protected]

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:37 am

Patrick, this pile of stuff set me back about $600.00. These are the "before" photos. The cleats & chokes were triple coated. They were able to give me a quote based on the photos and a few dimensions. They must base the cost on square inches, not sure. It was done by a local shop that specializes in antique auto parts.

Al

Vic_Mel

Post by Vic_Mel » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:19 pm

Some of the hardware on our XKs is chrome plated brass, like the big cleats and exhaust bezels, and other items are chrome over diecast, such as the Chris Craft lettering, vents, step pad frames and bow light. When I had my plating done, I learned that diecast is difficult to plate if the piece is pitted or damaged. Some shops won't even do die cast.

I suggest that you get estimates on plating, but also check out parts vendors and ebay. You can often find new or good used parts that are less expensive than plating. Most of the hardware on XKs is common to other Chris Crafts. The bow light is a Perko product used on many boats of that era, not just Chris Craft.

Also, the aluminum rubrail is avaliable from West Marine or Defender in 12' sections as is the white or black insert.
Vic Melchiorre

1970 19' XK19 "Victory
1971 XK18 “Ave Maria”