Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

My modified 427 engine project for the 23 Lancer Inboard

Keeping your powerboat under power is a lot easier with good advice. Post your power systems questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:56 pm

Paul,

As per usual I am too cyber challanged to open the video, but respect the work that went into those engines. I finally got manifolds, risers and new electronic ignition (on port side) installed on my 33 foot seastrake....did it all myself...in many trips down to the boat and many contortions in the cramped space of the bilge...now up and running good. Thanks to help from Jim Martin from Maine and his connection to this site.
You are so right that us cruiser guys live in a totally different universe from the trailer boat crowd. This is real grunt work at time, but as I sat on the back deck this weekend, 60 degrees and sunshine...hell, it is all worth it!

John in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
19?? custom Argentine Runabout 16'
1954 Whirlwind deluxe dual ckpt 16'
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)

Peter M Jardine

Post by Peter M Jardine » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:53 pm

Many people have no idea how much time and work it takes to keep a cruiser (or runabout) running smoothly. People seem to think we run to the marina and twist the key and we're off, but in fact it takes many hours of work for every hour of entertainment on the water.

Ain't that the truth. Beautiful job Paul, and I'm sure the boat won't dawdle either :wink: :shock:

Paul P
Location: Nashville, Tennessee, Cumberland River and Lake system

Re: My modified 427 engine project for the 23 Lancer Inboard

Post by Paul P » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:53 am

Hi guys, it's been awhile since I posted on this thread.

I thought you all would like some sort of an update and a little "tech talk" here just for general interest or for some research anyone is doing on the 427 motors:

Since I had such positive results with the single-wire DUI (Davis Unified Ignition) distributor on this project motor, I decided to install them on my 1966 38 Commander Express as well, which is also 427 powered.

If you have a closed cooling system 427 from CC, this is a "bolt on" product, which provides 50,000 volts directly to the plugs, allowing you to regap from the recommended .028" - .032" per the Chris-Craft 427 owners manual, to an astounding .055"

If you have the standard cooling system, then you are in for a little more work due to interference with the plumbing system, but it is relatively simple, I have done it, and I can share EXACTLY what is needed in the event anyone wants to replicate this on their motors.

Both systems will have an interference with the throttle linkage plate, which can be retained, but must be trimmed to fit the profile of the huge HEI-style distributor. This was unexpected, because the project motor of which this thread is based, did not have that problem becuase I used an aftermarket intake and throttle assembly. Therefore when I got ready to drop in the new monster distributors I had an "oh heck" moment and had to go back to the shop to a hack-saw and grinder. Again, I have ALL of this well documented if anyone is interested.

Once I got things properly timed and plumbed, it was time for a wide-open-throttle test run. All I can do is smile, the results are quite satisfying. Since the installation, neither motor has missed firing a single cylinder on any occasion. If you are interested in a reliability and performance upgrade to a marine FE motor, talk to Steve Davis, of Davis Unified Ignition, tell him you heard about it from me, and he is a very nice guy who will take care of you. I can recommend Steve and the monster distributor, of course, if the judges see this they may wet their pants but heck, the way I run my boat I often go out at night with a whole load of people, and safety and reliability are absolutely the priority. I don't intend to put my 38 Express into a judged show either. For someone with a premium Chris-Craft runabout with 427 power like a Grand Prix, be advised you can pop your old Mallory back in for the show if you are so inclined, but the plumbing on the standard cooling system will still be noticed by a keen eye.

Now back to my 427 Lancer project motor. I have done some more minor detail work and fit-up with it. I can tell you all the Borg Warner 72-C transmission will bolt nicely to the Chris-Craft 427 bell housing becuase I have done it. The boat, however, is lagging behind and will most likely hit the water next season (after my new boat house/workshop is done, now under construction). A boy has to have a hobby! Sometimes these things take longer than we wanted but it will happen. In the meantime I have been scrounging up propellers I think will work with this big dog, and I know it will take some in-the-water testing to find out just how much prop I can use.

Regarding props: The stock 23 Lancer used a 3-blade 15x16 cupped, RH with 1" shaft. I'm going to stay with the 1" shaft but I am going to upgrade to a higher strength metal, rather than change everything out to a larger diameter. The 23 Lancer has a prop pocket, and the original stock transmission ratio was (is) 1.5:1

I checked with the Naval Architect at Michigan Wheel, and he said the boat at this particular length and hull profile was on the cusp of going to a direct drive or 1.5 reduction, so I opted to be safe and used what CC used, with the 1.5 reduction. This means the prop selection gets more difficult. With this much reduction and the additional torque of the 427, which in stock form is 438 footpounds at 2900 rpm, I am looking at a 3-blade 15x22 or even more pitch, and will experiment up the ladder until I find just how far I can go. If you do the math, this equates to a 50-mile per hour speed at 4500 rpm, using a twenty percent (20%) drag/slippage factor. That is the intended starting point, and for a deep-v 23-foot Lancer hull that will be moving along nicely. We'll all see how it goes next season. I'll post updates as more info becomes available. Peter Jardine ........stop looking now......there are no metric tools on the deck, lol.

You can see the curve I had to cut into the throttle linkage plates here, in order to fit the bigger distributor.

And the results were woth writing about and sharing.

The prime reason for all of this work was for better reliability and better running, and not for any additional power.

regards,

Paul
1956 17' CC Sportsman, 300-hp
1957 17' CC Sportsman, 95-hp
1966 20' CC fiberglass Sea Skiff, 210-hp+
1973 23' CC Lancer inboard project, 427/375-hp.
1966 38' CC Commander Express, 427/300-hp(2)

So many boats.........so little time.....but what a way to go!!