Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Oil for the new engine

Keeping your powerboat under power is a lot easier with good advice. Post your power systems questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

island time

Oil for the new engine

Post by island time » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:04 pm

Ok time to stir this pot again,
The age old question about engine oils.
In the paperwork that came with the new engine they specify 15W40-preferrably Pennzoil marine 15W40 and for the duration of the break-in period-NO SYNTHETICS!
Let me start by saying that I cannot find this Pennzoil product anywhere except marinas that charge double what it should cost.
Going beyond that why could I not use any good name brand engine oil? I mean as long as it meets the service ratings right? I also gather that the diesel rated oils are good as well. I believe I'm well enough informed to make smart choices after the break in period but I just don't want to make a grave error for the initial 20+ hours.

Craig
Craig Wilson
Churchville, NY
Alexandria Bay, NY

1968 23' Chris Craft lancer
1971 31' Revelcraft
1988 25' Fourwinns
1972 19' Chris Craft Lancer
1957 18' Chris Craft Sea Skiff
1958 18' Chris Craft Sea Skiff
1968 23' Chris Craft Commander

joanroy

Re: Oil for the new engine

Post by joanroy » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:22 pm

I'd go with what the builder recommended just in case of a warranty issue. Anything with Marine stamped on it is always twice the price. Usually marinized products are of a higher quality and more suited to a harsh environment. Fire that baby up! Good Luck!

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:42 am

like joanroy said, get that recommended oil no matter the cost...at least this first time...and fire that baby up.

John in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
19?? custom Argentine Runabout 16'
1954 Whirlwind deluxe dual ckpt 16'
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)

island time

Post by island time » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:57 am

I picked up the new starter today, I decided to go with a new GM 1-wire alternator versus rebuilding the old whatever-it-was external regulator one. That will be ready for pickup on Friday.
I got the transmission reassembled last night and after a few coats of Chris Craft blue will be ready to attach to the new engine.
Water pump parts showed up yesterday so I will be working on them later today. Stainless bolt order is due here today then I can reassemble the V-drive and various other pieces.
Attachments
100_0024[1].JPG
100_0023[1].JPG
100_0022[1].JPG
Craig Wilson
Churchville, NY
Alexandria Bay, NY

1971 31' Revelcraft
1988 25' Fourwinns

mfine

Post by mfine » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:41 pm

If the new engine has a flat tappet cam you need high ZDDP oil or a zinc/ZDDP additive, especially for breaking in, but also over the life of the engine. The ZDDP levels were dramatically reduced in modern oils to protect catalytic converters, but our old engines still need it.

Also, verify oil requirements with the engine builder as the original Chris Craft recommendations are not necessarily valid anymore.

jim g

Post by jim g » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:31 pm

ZDDP is gone out of all oils but the diesel oils and its greatly reduced because diesel have have had cat's since 2003. I suspect the marine oil their telling you to use is really a diesel oil.

They really should be telling you to use a break in oil which is usually a 30w oil. Its designed to help correctly sent in the bearings, cam and piston rings. Break in oil should be changed out after 20 to 25 hours which equals around 1500 miles.

I use either Joe Gibbs break in oil or Brad Penn break in oil. Then I use Brad Penn oil. Either 30w for engines without thermostats and 10w30 for engines with thermostats. The Penn oil has the correct amount oil ZDDP in it.

True racing oils do not have all the rust inhibiters and other components that regular oil does. As race engines are taken apart after every race.

The problem with not breaking an engine in correctly is the problems associated from improper break in don't really show up for a year or more. Thats in a car engine it can be longer for a marine engine especially if its not used much.

Also by federal law an engine manufacturer cannot deny a warranty claim as long as the oil you use meet the API requirement the builder is saying to use.

island time

Post by island time » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:40 pm

Good info Jim,
Thanks for sharing!

Craig
Craig Wilson
Churchville, NY
Alexandria Bay, NY

1971 31' Revelcraft
1988 25' Fourwinns

drrot

Post by drrot » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:13 am

I remember this :D One of the days I was not sleeping through class! It's the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.
jim g wrote:ZDDP is gone out of all oils but the diesel oils and its greatly reduced because diesel have have had cat's since 2003. I suspect the marine oil their telling you to use is really a diesel oil.

They really should be telling you to use a break in oil which is usually a 30w oil. Its designed to help correctly sent in the bearings, cam and piston rings. Break in oil should be changed out after 20 to 25 hours which equals around 1500 miles.

I use either Joe Gibbs break in oil or Brad Penn break in oil. Then I use Brad Penn oil. Either 30w for engines without thermostats and 10w30 for engines with thermostats. The Penn oil has the correct amount oil ZDDP in it.

True racing oils do not have all the rust inhibiters and other components that regular oil does. As race engines are taken apart after every race.

The problem with not breaking an engine in correctly is the problems associated from improper break in don't really show up for a year or more. Thats in a car engine it can be longer for a marine engine especially if its not used much.

Also by federal law an engine manufacturer cannot deny a warranty claim as long as the oil you use meet the API requirement the builder is saying to use.
Jim Staib
www.finewoodboats.com

1947 Penn Yan 12' Cartopper WXH474611
1950 Chris-Craft 22' Sportsman U-22-1532
1957 Chris-Craft 26' Sea Skiff SK-26-515
1968 Century 17' Resorter FG-68-174

jim g

Post by jim g » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:35 am

drrot wrote:I remember this :D One of the days I was not sleeping through class! It's the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

You got it.
jim g wrote:ZDDP is gone out of all oils but the diesel oils and its greatly reduced because diesel have have had cat's since 2003. I suspect the marine oil their telling you to use is really a diesel oil.

jim g

Post by jim g » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:40 am

[quote="jim g"][quote="drrot"]I remember this :D One of the days I was not sleeping through class! It's the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

You got it.

It also said that the manufacturer of a car could not deny warranty because you did not have your car serviced at the dealer while under warranty. As long as the service maintenance is done whether by the owner or independent shop and documented. The manufacturer cannot void the car warranty.

island time

Post by island time » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:23 pm

I found out something interesting today!
While at NAPA picking up some various sundries I asked for the mysterious Pennzoil Marine non synthetic 15W-40. They called their Pennz rep while I was there and this is the scoop right from Pennzoil; Pennzoil marine 15W-40 has been discontinued and their recommendation for a replacement is Rotella diesel oil and during break-in use DZZP additive.
So that's what I got, two oil changes worth of those products and oil filters.
I got the V-drive and water pumps put back together today, tomorrow will be assembling a whole bunch of pieces onto the new engine. I think I might be able to light it up this weekend.
I'll see if my daughter can take some video of the blessed event.

Craig
Craig Wilson
Churchville, NY
Alexandria Bay, NY

1971 31' Revelcraft
1988 25' Fourwinns