Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Help with tachometer-1969 Ski boat.

Your old Chris-Craft electrical system can be a challenge. If it runs on "juice" pose your questions and offer your advice here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

10blade

Help with tachometer-1969 Ski boat.

Post by 10blade » Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:23 pm

Hello all,
The tachometer in my recently purchased 1969 ski boat doesn't work. The gentleman who owned it prior casually remarked that it needed a new cable. I think I laughed and that was that. Well, it may be the cable...or it may not. I have no idea. Is there a diagnostic work-up one might undergo to figure out if the cable is indeed the faulty player?
Thanks
Nate
1969 17' Ski Boat

drrot

Post by drrot » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:53 am

Dis-Connect the cable from the rear of the tach. Start the engine. If the end of the cable turns it is working.

10blade

Post by 10blade » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:25 am

That is exactly the kind of info I need. Thanks. If it's not turning, I'll start this thread up again.
Nate
1969 17' Ski Boat

10blade

Post by 10blade » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:28 pm

I unscrewed the tach cable from the rear of the tach and was surprised to find that the small metal pin which attaches to the cable EASILY fell off and remained with the tach. After dislodging it (and removing quite a build-up of crud) I unscrewed the cable from the rear of the engine to inspect the whole thing. The engine side appears intact. The wire, within the housing, is fine. The tach side of things shows just what I had seen while initially taking things apart: the pin uncouples from the wire too easily. So I oiled up the engine side and wire, then replaced the wire within the housing. I then gently crimped the pin onto the wire...and it held nicely.

So now my question: is this a fix at all? In other words, is my merely crimping the pin (I don't know what else to call it) onto the wire enough to fix the cable? Would a proper repair involve more? Am I just wasting my time? Is there a better way to afix the pin? A replacement cable runs $187 from classicboatconnection...I'd just rather not spend $187 when I may have already fixed the problem.

Thanks
Nate
1969 17' Ski Boat

drrot

Post by drrot » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:43 pm

Try to turn the pin by hand. It should be firmly attached to the inner cable. Reach the back of the tach and spin it by hand in the direction the tach reads. It should spin easy. If all is well put it back together.

10blade

Post by 10blade » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:23 pm

Thanks drrot.
I think everything may be ok. I got behind the tach and removed an L-shaped connector. I took this apart, cleaned/greased the gears well and lubed up the spinning bit on the back of the tach itself (so that it spun freely and so that I could see the tach needle move). I reassembled the L-shaped thing onto the back of the tach and attached the cable. I then was able to spin the engine -side of the tach cable while watching the tach needle bounce about. I reattached the tach cable to the engine...and now we'll see. I should be able to get it into the water later this week.
Thanks again
Nate
1969 17' Ski Boat

10blade

Post by 10blade » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:18 pm

Well I couldn't believe my eyes, but, it worked. Worked fine. Worked all weekend long. So I guess if it ever stops working, I can fix it, but more importantly, I can rest assured that the tach itself works.
Thanks,
Nate
1969 17' Ski Boat

Gord

Post by Gord » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:17 pm

Great job..now we just need your address so we can send your newly minted "Mechanic Certificate". :D Glad you were able to get it fixed, congrats.
1948 U22 Sportsman
1961 28 Connie