Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

XK 22 General Information

If it doesn't pertain to metal, fiberglass, wire or fabric—but it is about classic fiberglass Chris-Crafts, ask your question or give your advice here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Susie

XK 22 General Information

Post by Susie » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:15 pm

My wife and I are seriously considering buying an XK 22 near us and are looking to get general information about this model.

We've already done the standard Google search, but know there have to be members here who have more information.

I've seen a number of posts with information and photos of XK 18s and 19s, but not as much with the XK 22s.

Please let us know if there are any members who have experience in restoring this model and access to parts and other links where we may see restored examples.

Thanks...

Carlos & Susie

Peter M Jardine

Re: XK 22 General Information

Post by Peter M Jardine » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:03 pm

I can provide you with some basic information from the Chris Craft archive at the Mariners museum, as published in 'Chris Craft, the essential guide'

The XK22 was built from 1971 to 1976
A total of 230 hulls were built.
The hull numbers were

ORAZ-22-001 to 110 for 1971-72
ORAZ-22-2001 to ORAZ-22-2075 for 1973
ORAZ-22-3001 to ORAZ-22-3025 for 1974
ORAZ-22-4001 to ORAZ-22-4020 for 1975

Weight 3300 lbs
Fuel capacity 60 gallons
Bottom color bronze
waterline color white
Hull side color bronze
Deck color white and bronze
upholstery brown, yellow and white

The engine featured was a 350FLV, which was a high performance 350, but beyond that I cannot comment on horsepower or speciality.

These boats are starting to appreciate, since there were few built. The cool factor is quite high :wink:

Here is some information on a previous thread here, from some folks that are very knowledgeable about the glass CC speed boats

http://www.chris-craft.org/discussion/v ... php?p=5173

Susie

Post by Susie » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:07 pm

Thank you Peter and Tom for your helpful information. According to the serial number chart Peter provided yesterday, the serial number of the boat we are looking to buy makes it a 1974. And the boat on the cover of the 1973 sales brochure Tom referenced for sale on eBay is exactly the same color as the one near us.

We are just wondering if there are significant differences in the boats that were made over the years, particularly between the '73 in the sales brochure and the '74 we are interested in buying.

We will continue to pour through the archives on this and other sites to see what more we can learn.

Again, thank you very much for your help...

Susie and Carlos :D

Peter M Jardine

Post by Peter M Jardine » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:11 pm

From a motor standpoint, I don't believe so. It's likely that CC ordered enough engines to do what they wanted to do in terms of production. As you can see, the 350 in the boat was 320hp, which means it likely had a different camshaft and intake/carb than some of the more moderate versions. I doubt the hull was changed, but there may have been trim/option differences of a slight nature. Others may be able to comment better.

Susie

Post by Susie » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:40 pm

Thank you Peter. The boat in question has a GM 350/330hp crate engine with 59hours that replaced the original factory engine. The seller says the new engine performs better than the original engine from the factory.

In looking at photos, I've noticed somewhat minor differences between the earlier and later year boats. For example, the later boats have what I suspect are blower vents towards the stern while the earlier boats didn't. Also, the earlier boats appear to have the multicolor XK 22 badge whereas the later models didn't. Unfortunately, I haven't seen enough factory photos or sales brochures to determine if the differences I'm noticing are from the CC factory or the result of changes made by owners over the years.

Nonetheless, everything I've seen and read about he model leads me to believe they are very good boats.

Peter M Jardine

Post by Peter M Jardine » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:44 pm

Im sure the new engine performs better but its too bad the original is gone. I am a big proponent of vintage power but there are advantages to newer engines. The higher performance the boat the more likely the original engine gets worn out or blown up.

Susie

Post by Susie » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:47 am

I agree with Peter that the original engine is more desirable as a representation of how the boat left the factory. And I regret that this boat does not have its original engine. Unfortunately, it is what it is. I think the original engine for this boat was a CC 350-FLV. It would be great to be able to find one and restore this boat to original. Are those engine very hard to find? :?: