Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Newbie, & looking for any help I can get

If it doesn't pertain to metal, fiberglass, wire or fabric—but it is about classic fiberglass Chris-Crafts, ask your question or give your advice here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

avillafana

Post by avillafana » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:37 am

Good Morning,
Just signed up today. I believe I have a 1974 Lancer 24ft. (ORCZ-23-2040V & 2040R.

I am looking for any and all information about the Boat. I would love to find a Manual for it.

Here is the info from the Engine Plate
• Engine Model #307GLV
• Engine Number #681800
• Firing Order 18436572
• Marine Engine Oil SAE 30 or 10W30

At the moment I know my Circulation Pump is on it's last legs so I would like to find another before I absolutely need another.

Thanks,

Chad Durren

Post by Chad Durren » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:16 pm

Andres, welcome to the club. Those Lancers are great boats. Be sure to check out the Commander Forum as well.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/424840/
1952 CC 18' Sportsman
1969 CC 19' Commander Super Sport

avillafana

Post by avillafana » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:35 pm

Thank you Chad,
I will check it out

Although those are Big Boats in comparison to my little runabout.

Andres

Chad Durren

Post by Chad Durren » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:15 am

Your Lancer is a close relative to those big boats. Don't get me wrong, you will benefit from BOTH forums, but you will find Loads of Lancer Love on the Commander Forum.
1952 CC 18' Sportsman
1969 CC 19' Commander Super Sport

Paul P
Location: Nashville, Tennessee, Cumberland River and Lake system

Post by Paul P » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:33 am

Chad is absolutely right,

A couple words about the Chris Craft Commander Forum, Inc., at http://www.chriscraftcommander.com
(NOT to be confused with the Chris Craft Commander Club).

“The Forum” at http://www.chriscraftcommander.com is my personal web site. It has enjoyed a friendly synergy with the Chris Craft Antique Boat Club for many years because of a willingness to share information and fun about classic boats while still being respectful of the mission and presence of each entity. “The Forum” is independent, it is not a club, not for profit, and has served as an overt recruiting tool for the Chris Craft Antique Boat Club, because of a friendly association forged many years ago, and we have posted a direct link on our web site masthead to the Boat Buzz, with a recommendation to join the CCABC (for many years).

Even though we are primarily focused on the Commander series of cruisers and yachts, we recognize the 23' Lancer as a close cousin to the 23' Commander because the two boats share the same identical wetted hull and overall shape, they were designed by the same 2 guys (Jim Wynne doing the 24-degree deep-v hull design and Dick Avery doing the topsides for the Lancer and Commander variants), they used the same hardware, same windshields, and they use the exact same gelcoat and fiberglass construction techniques developed for the big Commanders. During some production years they were sitting under the same roof being built side-by-side in Cortland, NY. The only difference between some of the two models, was the fact that they hung a Commander badge on one in 1968 and 1969, and the next year that same identical boat got a Lancer badge, so you can see the Lancer family tree is closely branched with the Commander series. The 19' Lancers also share a similar direct connection with the Chris Craft Commander, and this interest extends to other models (like the Corsair Sea-V) also built in Cortland during the “golden era” of fiberglass runabout production at Chris Craft.

Many of the large classic boat owners these days have picked up a fiberglass classic to compliment their fleet and their classic boating lifestyle. The 23 Lancer is a very popular choice in this country and abroad.

The 23 came with V6, V8, twin 4-cylinder, hardtop, open top, v-drive, transdrive, true inboard, equipped for fishing or overnight camping, and the same 23’ hull was also built in large numbers at Herb Pocklington’s Chris Craft plant in Italy for the European market.

Years ago I decided I wanted a 23 Lancer for myself and during the hunt I got a tip about a 20’ fiberglass Sea Skiff. At the time being a former 35’ wood Sea Skiff owner I was not aware that Chris Craft even made a fiberglass Sea Skiff so I passed this tip off as just an error. The more I looked at the ad, however, I realized it was a good looking fiberglass Sea Skiff. With the help of Tom Frauenheim, got it shipped from Medina NY up on Lake Ontario, to Nashville Tennessee where we totally restored it and run it regularly today along with our 38 Commander Express. Both are 1966 models.

However, back to the 23 Lancer, I am presently restoring one of those now, and my poor boat came without a motor or transmission, and with only half a windshield. It saw tough duty in salt water off the Eastern seaboard, yet one day it will again be worthy of docking in front of any swanky waterfront restaurant or yacht club. These are worthy restoration candidates because they are built as solid as a Commander, and the mechanicals are generally quite forthright for repair or replacement.

Here (above) is a 23' hull presently being restored near me in Nashville now. Is it a 23 Commander, or a 23 Lancer? Both were offered with the light blue gelcoat. The only way to tell in this instance, is to look at the serial number and check the papers (and the badge on the side). This one has the swing-aside windshield of the 1969 Commander as opposed to the lift up windshield of the 1968 23 Commander. This one happens to be an ultra rare 23' 427-powered Lancer Premier, of which 25 were sold in 1970. Just about anything damaged on a fiberglass hull can be repaired. They are great boats, and all Chris Craft.

I was well into my own 23 restoration when this one came onto the market by word-of-mouth. I passed the tip on to a friend here in Nashville who bought the boat. Needless to say this one will be worth a lot more than my inboard model due to the rare factor, and of course the better job being done to restore this one :-)

Regards,

Paul
1956 17' CC Sportsman, 300-hp
1957 17' CC Sportsman, 95-hp
1966 20' CC fiberglass Sea Skiff, 210-hp+
1973 23' CC Lancer inboard project, 427/375-hp.
1966 38' CC Commander Express, 427/300-hp(2)

So many boats.........so little time.....but what a way to go!!

Paul P
Location: Nashville, Tennessee, Cumberland River and Lake system

Re: Newbie, & looking for any help I can get

Post by Paul P » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:09 pm

avillafana wrote: At the moment I know my Circulation Pump is on it's last legs so I would like to find another before I absolutely need another.
Yes it is a 1974 model, number 40 of 60 built that year. The pump most likely is still good for many more years, just the rubber impeller is most likely needing replacement.

Pull the pump off the motor and get it on a bench where you can work on it, find out what the number is embossed on the case and then you can call someone like Depco and get a replacement impeller http://www.depcopump.com They are pretty simple to work on. Be very careful when you do the reinstallation to be sure the case is tight and nicely sealed, and that the suction side of your hose feed has no air leaks, or it will defeat the prime.

http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/8d8 ... 83d4ae/112

regards,

Paul
1956 17' CC Sportsman, 300-hp
1957 17' CC Sportsman, 95-hp
1966 20' CC fiberglass Sea Skiff, 210-hp+
1973 23' CC Lancer inboard project, 427/375-hp.
1966 38' CC Commander Express, 427/300-hp(2)

So many boats.........so little time.....but what a way to go!!