Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Closed cooling system possible?

If it doesn't pertain to metal, fiberglass, wire or fabric—but it is about classic fiberglass Chris-Crafts, ask your question or give your advice here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Episode VI

Closed cooling system possible?

Post by Episode VI » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:51 am

Hi all. Has anyone successfully installed a closed cooling system? I've got a Buick V6 225 "odd-firing" engine in my 1971 Lancer.

The boat has spent its entire life in fresh water but I've got to use it in the ocean. The engine and original Chris Craft manifolds are in great condition and I want to keep it that way!

Don Ayers
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Ayers » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:53 am

You can certainly install a closed system on the engine. From my understanding (limited) the most expensive part is the heat exchanger. I just got a boat that has the incorrect engine that has this type of set up and it took a little study to understand how it all works. But its doable for sure.

Don Ayers
1959 Riva Ariston
www.RivaForum.org
www.barrelback.com

Episode VI

Cooling system alternative

Post by Episode VI » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:23 am

Thanks Don. I've investigated the cooling system set-up and I cannot find something that will also take care of the manifolds. Unless I'm misunderstanding something, the systems available are "partial" and will only serve the engine. This seems odd and I don't understand how you can only get partial cooling.

In the meantime and for a lot less money, I've decided to stick with the raw water set-up and use "Salt-Away" flushing product after each use. I improved my raw water intake plumbing to allow me to connect a garden hose.

Ken