Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Progress with the Commander

If it doesn't pertain to metal, fiberglass, wire or fabric—but it is about classic fiberglass Chris-Crafts, ask your question or give your advice here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

island time

Progress with the Commander

Post by island time » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:45 pm

Well I thought I would update the project in a different topic.
It finally stopped raining long enough to put a coat of paint on the bottom of the boat. Engine reassembly will resume next week.
As you know I decided on Epifanes polyurethane for the bottom paint, in fact it will be the new finish on the whole boat eventually. A critique of this paint product yielded this opinion; This is a fantastic paint, awesome coverage, awesome gloss. Going beyond those facts I want to say that this product is billed as "sprayed look when rolled and tipped". NOT true! it is a fantastic product but results after rolling and tipping was less than satisfactory. I'm sure that it would look good to Helen Keller and it's not even bad using the "ten foot rule" but my standards are higher! I was led to believe that it looks like gel coat and it's far from that. If you want the surface to look like gel coat I would still recommend this product but it HAS to be sprayed! Tomorrow I will be sanding with 320 and recoating with an HVLP sprayer.

Craig Wilson
Craig Wilson
Churchville, NY
Alexandria Bay, NY

1968 23' Chris Craft lancer
1971 31' Revelcraft
1988 25' Fourwinns
1972 19' Chris Craft Lancer
1957 18' Chris Craft Sea Skiff
1958 18' Chris Craft Sea Skiff
1968 23' Chris Craft Commander

joanroy

Re: Progress with the Commander

Post by joanroy » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:59 pm

Craig, I've had good results with roll and tip urethane paints, but I'd agree that a perfect sprayed finish is the best. In my experience, either way you chose to apply a high gloss paint, the finish will only be as good as the the fairness of the substrate. How bout a photo?

island time

Re: Progress with the Commander

Post by island time » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:10 pm

Yup, will do. The weather report is still good for tomorrow so I will get some pix and post them.
I will also be doing the last of the fiberglass repair to the stringers and I will get some pix of that as well.
When does everything get less expensive??? HAHAHA.
I picked up the new carburetor this morning, not a whole lot left to buy, just need more hours in the day!
I just remembered that Epifanes uses a different thinner for spray application so I will have to order that, next weekend is out for boat work because of the Clayton show. Taking the wood boat up for that.

Craig Wilson
Craig Wilson
Churchville, NY
Alexandria Bay, NY

1968 23' Chris Craft lancer
1971 31' Revelcraft
1988 25' Fourwinns
1972 19' Chris Craft Lancer
1957 18' Chris Craft Sea Skiff
1958 18' Chris Craft Sea Skiff
1968 23' Chris Craft Commander