Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

New Guy With a '65 Super Sport 18'

Post your Boat Buzz technical questions here. We will do our best to respond to your questions in a timely manner.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton

chuck.hammond

New Guy With a '65 Super Sport 18'

Post by chuck.hammond » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:57 pm

Hello,

I joined a few days ago and am looking for information on a boat I bought a month or so ago.

It seems that these boats may have experienced variations in production from one boat to the next, is this possible? Aside from interior colors, were other running changes/options available on them? Most of the 18' and 21' Super Sports I see have the vinyl decking material running from the bow all the way back to the intake vents (scoops?) and then they transition to mahogany and finally to painted (white) wood over the transom. My boat is vinyl all the way back on the gunwales and across the top of transom. It seems like the stainless trim that borders it is factory, or at least looks consistent with typical factory trim.

Would there have been variations such as this from one boat to the next? Incidentally, my boat is a fairly early '65 being #0010.

Thanks for any help you folks can offer.

matthew.smith

Re: New Guy With a '65 Super Sport 18'

Post by matthew.smith » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:59 am

Hi Chuck, sorry for the delay. You have one of the last woodys and they are fantastic. I would get the hull card from the Mariners Museum in Newport News. That will tell you any special differences. Yours sounds normal with vinyl. Variations are not part of how they did things. It was mass production as much as possible and even though you could always order whatever you wanted to a point. My guess until you see the hull record is it sounds normal. BUT? Varity is the spice of life and oddities are what makes these boats so special. Post photos. THose Super sports are cool as hell!
Woody Boater
1948 CC 25' Sportsman - WECATCHEM
1937 CC 16' Special Racer - Stinky
1968 Rice 40 - Trawler - Sweet Pea

chuck.hammond

Re: New Guy With a '65 Super Sport 18'

Post by chuck.hammond » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:07 pm

Thanks Matthew,

Since posting, I had occasion to remove some of the trim in order to polish it. Upon doing so, I noticed that it has indeed had the vinyl added all the way back on the gunnels and across the top of the transom. I'll enjoy it the way it is for the rest of this season and decide over the winter whether or not to cut the vinyl and refinish the back.

I've ordered the hull card and any accompanying documents that they have. It was supposed to be pulled early this week, but a certain storm on the Eastern Seaboard set them back a bit.

In the mean time, I have repainted the bottom and have my second coat of varnish drying. I'll wet sand it with 400 this weekend and apply a third coat. I should have the boat on the water next weekend.