Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

uploading pics

Post your Boat Buzz technical questions here. We will do our best to respond to your questions in a timely manner.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton

tajmahal

uploading pics

Post by tajmahal » Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:55 pm

I have some Connie pics to share. About the best I currently can do is .5megs using JPG. What's another format I can use to make the file smaller because even at 1/2 meg, it's too large.
Thanks
Michael
1957 48'Connie
1927 60' custom iron boat
1963 18' thompson runabout

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:27 pm

Taj:

Try upping your compression settings on your jpg if you haven't already. You might also try a png format. The image hosting service we are using touts a 2mb file size limit but, that is more like 500k in actuality. We are trying to chase down their tech support to get to the bottom of it.
Bill Basler

tajmahal

picture resizing

Post by tajmahal » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:47 am

Thanks Bill, That was the clue I needed. Now as soon as I get some time, I can download some pics.

BTW, yesterday, I received the Brass Bell. What a very nice job you and your people have done. I've looked through it twice, but haven't read everything yet. It's top notch.
Thank you,
Michael Langey

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:26 am

Thanks Taj. I hope this works for you. Also thanks for the compliments. The Brass Bell is a ton of work, but lots of fun as well. Our contributors have done an excellent job.
Bill Basler

Centuryjack

Post by Centuryjack » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:54 pm

Bill,

I am new to the "buzz" web site. I like it a lot. I have to admit that by nature I am a Century nut, but I allow myself to take rides in Chris-Crafts whenever offered. I'm also the Treasurer of the Century Boat Club.

One of my other passions is the Chrysler 300M's. They were sold as 1999 to 2004 models before being replaced by the 300C.

What I find interesting is that I am a member of the 300M enthusiasts club and they seem to use the same web site software as the "buzz" does.

Keep up the good work on this site. It far outperforms and creates an image better than....the old Yahoo site our Century owners currently use.

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:14 am

Thanks for the compliments. Boat Buzz runs on a php-based open source program called phpBB. Our install has certain custom tweaks that we have done to make it more to our liking. We have a few things that we would like to implement in the next year...if we can just get to them! It seems that Brass Bell and development of the new web site is consuming a bit of our time.

I agree that the format that we have with Boat Buzz is professional looking. phpBB also allows us a good deal of control in dealing with members, non-members, would-be spammers and so on. From an admin side, I can attest to how important this is.

The Yahoo discussion forums are actually pretty powerful in their own way. People seem to like the ability to respond to a post via email rather than going through their web browser. This is something that we can add to Boat Buzz in the future. One of the significant drawbacks to Yahoo and others is the lack of an image post feature. Well...I should say you CAN post photos, but they get put in a photo area with no relevent tie back to a topic. Our photo upload system is kind of a stop gap but it does seem to work. We will also be enhancing this in the near future.
Bill Basler