Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Inside storage in Michigan

Winterizing? Summerizing? Covering? Trailering? If it is about a boat out of water put it here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

tkhersom

Re: Inside storage in Michigan

Post by tkhersom » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:35 pm

IMHO an unheated gravel floor garage is the best option. That being said an unheated cement floor garage is not a bad option either. I kept Yorktown in an unheated cement floor garage for many years. After drying our the bilge for winter storage I would on occasion spread some water under the boat just to keep the moisture level up in the garage. Since the garage was built into ledge it seldom froze the water on the floor. She was kept in an unheated cement floor garage for decades when I was growing up without spraying water underneath her.

If I already had an unheated cement floor garage, I would use it.
Troy in ANE - Former President CCABC

1957 CC 21' Continental "Yorktown" (Mom's boat)
https://www.chris-craft.org/boats/22625/
1985 Formula 242LS "Gottago"
1991 Formula 36PC "Band Aids"

Life Is Too Short To Own An Ugly Boat

mbigpops

Post by mbigpops » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:51 am

I tried a new tact last winter that worked out really well since we had some very cold dry spells. I am outside in an unheated portable garage with a recycled asphalt floor. I built a trough out of 2 x 6 lumber and plastic sheeting and filled it with water and put it under the boat. I went to Tractor Supply and got a cheap heater that is thermostatically controlled to come on below freezing that is normally used for livestock water containers (submersible). The heater kicked on when needed and the water never froze and I had piece of mind.

I can post more specifics if anyone is interested.

Mark
1953 CC Rocket Runabout "Rocket Man"

Don Vogt
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Vogt » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:39 pm

i know of a situation where a guy had a thermostatically heated garage (bad enough) for his boat storage. during the winter the
thermostat malfunctioned and the boat baked all winter and ruined the wood. so it can happen.
1938 Chris Craft 17' Deluxe Runabout "Jennifer II"

Bilge Rat

Post by Bilge Rat » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:03 pm

"thermostat malfunctioned and the boat baked all winter and ruined the wood"

Reinforces to check on your boat in storage periodically to verify all is well. All kinds of unforeseen things happen; water leaks, animals taking up residence, theft.

Also imagine if you relied on heated storage and did not winterize the engine as a cost and time savings. Then a power failure or heating malfunction occurs and your engine block freezes. For about 1 hour's work and maybe $50.00 in marine antifreeze you can rest somewhat easy knowing you should be protected from this event.
1966 Lyman Cruisette 25 foot "Serenity Now!"
1953 Chris Craft Sportsman 22 foot "Summerwind"

mbigpops

Post by mbigpops » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:58 am

Don,

The heater that I am referring to goes into the pool of water (submersed) so the worst that you are going to end up with is warm water.

Mark
1953 CC Rocket Runabout "Rocket Man"

North Woody

Post by North Woody » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:50 am

Thanks all for the great input. I have a lot to learn about vintage boat ownership and maintenance so I really appreciate all the guidance from your experience. Wintering these beauties is a bit different from just parking my '68 Porsche in a garage and pulling the battery and throwing a cover on it!

I am putting a new 5200 bottom on Lake Girl this winter so she will remain in Steve Bunda's workshop this winter in Crandon, WI, giving me a full year before I have to figure out winter storage for myself :)
1936 Chris Craft 19’ Runabout “Lake Girl”
https://chris-craft.org/boats/49122/

Bob B

Post by Bob B » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:17 pm

Here's what I did with my '68 Porsche 40+ years ago. I got married, bought a house, with a mortgage, had a baby (now 43) and sold the Porsche. Ah, what a life! I'm older; no regrets. Enjoying our '48 CC Deluxe and waterfront cottage.

North Woody

Post by North Woody » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:03 pm

Well, our first winter with Lake Girl stored in our upper garage at the Lake up in Northern Wisconsin has gone pretty well ..... I kept the garage heated at just 45 degrees and I kept 2 baby pools full of water to keep the humidity levels to at least 55%. It’s up at 60% today, and the wood looks great with no drying anywhere. Seems I’ve found my long-term winter storage solution, now we just have to wait for ice out before we can get her back on the water again 🙂
F5EE9613-6CFF-4B09-8F1D-E369F5F65376.jpeg
1936 Chris Craft 19’ Runabout “Lake Girl”
https://chris-craft.org/boats/49122/