Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Winter storage

Winterizing? Summerizing? Covering? Trailering? If it is about a boat out of water put it here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

dpw1959

Winter storage

Post by dpw1959 » Sun May 29, 2011 2:58 pm

I know it is a long way until winter arrives but I would like to get some ideas as to where everyone stores their wood boats.
I only have a two car garage and would prefer my car get under cover for the winter so I was thinking of getting one of those modular canvas top, zip front "garages". Will that be enough coverage or is it not a good idea to keep it out in the cold?
Is winter indoor storage a much better idea and why?
I have a 17' Sportsman and am new to this hobby.
Thanks.

mfine

Post by mfine » Sun May 29, 2011 4:15 pm

Heated indoor is one of the worst options, unless it is massively humidified. It dries out the wood.

A garage, tent, or other shelter that protects it from sun and weather works well as long as there is no snow load issues.

gbraker

Shelter

Post by gbraker » Sun May 29, 2011 4:35 pm

I have stored boats in plastic shelters, and its great when its cold, but when it gets warm the sun can create too much heat inside.

It would be important to use white material, because it reflects the sun rays. It also should allow you to open it up in the front & rear * maybe the lower sides for when it gets hot. Sometimes we use this stuff for the winter, and then don't get to them early and they just sit there & bake for the summer.

I have had great success storing over gravel in the driveway, double tarped with a soft cover on first.

Trouble is you can't work on them that way.
Gary R Braker

57 chris

Post by 57 chris » Sun May 29, 2011 7:12 pm

Because I didn't have enough space indoors to work on my boats I built this as a place to work on them and this is where I store 675 for the winter.

Craig
1957 18' SeaSkiff #SK 18675 "Knot Sure!"
1958 18' SeaSkiff #SK18722 "Wreckreation"

Past projects: 1972 19' Lancer with 307 Volvo drive-Great Blue, 1968 23' Lancer Offshore with 283 Volvo drive-Narwahl
1988 FourWinns 245 Vista - Blue Ayes.

It's good to have wood!

dpw1959

Post by dpw1959 » Mon May 30, 2011 10:10 am

I was thinking of storing it in the canvas modular in the winter and either unzipping it in the summer or moving the boat to the garage. With all the snow in MA in the winter I would prefer to keep my car in the garage unless putting the boat outside in a modular shelter would hurt it.

mfine

Post by mfine » Mon May 30, 2011 10:45 am

My biggest fear would be snow collapsing the roof and damaging the boat. We got 11 feet of snow this winter so it is a real concern in western NY.

gbraker

Plastic Shelter

Post by gbraker » Mon May 30, 2011 11:07 am

I have a plastic shelter that is 24 ft long by about14 ft tall and 12 ft wide.

It is fairly strong and It has been hit by a microburst that bent part of the frame but it survived. It does get hot inside in the summer. I had a tracter/loader/backhoe stored in it. It only cost about $400.00 at Menards. The snow gets about a foot deep then it slides off. I fastened it too the ground with 2x6 boards and rebar drilled through and in at an angle. Its not coming loose.

Make sure the codes allow something like that or the gestapo will pay you a visit.

This was this past winter. It has new plastic. The original ripped up in a storm, but it was 5 years old.
The sun eats up plastic, so you should replace it about every 3 years. You can get replacement plastic, but its almost as much as a whole new shelter.
Gary R Braker

ed laning

Post by ed laning » Tue May 31, 2011 9:46 pm

I have one like this that is tan color. It's ten years old and still going strong. 10' wide and 20' long. I've stored several different boats in it over the years and it works very well provided it's a gravel or dirt or grass floor. The brand name of mine is "Cover-it". No connection, just a happy customer. Like someone said, the snow gets about 1 foot deep on top and then it slides off. Ed
1978 22' CC Dory outboard

Stovebolt

Post by Stovebolt » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:45 pm

Just to clarify, I have a travel cover for my boat, and then I could put a tarp or 2 over top of that, and thats fine outside? Here in BC, it rains, and rains and rains and rains, and it may snow once or twice during the winter. Maybe even below freezing for a couple weeks a year.

So I just wanted to make sure that was an ok option if I can't talk my GF into letting me have a temp garage in the driveway.
1961 Chris Craft 17' Ski Boat
1973 15.6' Hourston Glasscraft

dpw1959

Post by dpw1959 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:10 pm

Has anyone used Rhino Shield brand of portable shelter/garage? A dealer in our area is selling a 12x24x8 for $729.
He claims that it is better then Shelter Logic because the pipes are galvanized and won't rust. Also he says that they covering is thicker at 24MIL - 10oz fabric.
I figure I have to buy one of these soon to get my boat out of my garage so that the car can go in there for winter. I have a 17' CC Sportsman when on the trailer the length is 22' total.

gbraker

Post by gbraker » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:56 pm

The Shelter Logic is what I have. Its far cheaper. Its not galvanized , but it really doesn't matter when it doesn't get wet. Get the unit from Menards.
Gary R Braker

mbigpops

Post by mbigpops » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:33 pm

I have a rhino shelter. It has been up for two years and is holding up great. For the floor I used recycled ashpalt which was very cheap and still allows moisture to vent through and keep the wood safe.

As far as heat goes I rigged up a simple box fan hanging near the roof and plugged it into a thermatastically controlled outlet made for ducts. As soon as the inside temperature hits 70 degrees f the fan kicks on (flaps open obviously) and keeps it cooler in there. I have worked all summer in there quite comfortably.

Mark

gbraker

Post by gbraker » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:31 pm

Where did you get the Rhino Shelter? How big is it and what did it cost?
Gary R Braker

mbigpops

Post by mbigpops » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:37 am

Gary,

Mine is 20' x 10' x 8'. It is the round style and provides adequate space to work on my 17' runabout. Obviously bigger would be better but based on my circumstances I can't complain.

It was purchased from MDM Products LLC in Milford Ct.
(www.mdmshelters.com).

I can't help you on price at that is where my circumstances come in. My friend ordered the house style and they delivered the round style so they shipped him a new house style and did not spend the shipping cost to retreive the original so he gave it to me.

Mark

dpw1959

Post by dpw1959 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:34 am

Looks like I am buying one for a place in Middletown Ct. that may even manufacture them. They seem less expensive than the rest and I think some other distributors use these guys as their resource.
Anyway, I plan to set it up on grass in my yard for the winter. Just wondering if anyone else does that as I am concerned about the moisture issue. I have also heard some tricks like putting moth balls in the bottom to prevent mice nests and help with the moisture issue. Any tips anyone want to share??

Thanks!

gbraker

Post by gbraker » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:46 pm

Mice are a problem. Everyone has a different idea about what works. I intend to put poison everywhere.

I even had mice get into my engine compartment of my pickup and eat the insulation off the wires under the fuse block.

Poison Everywhere!!!!!
Gary R Braker

cenger

Post by cenger » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:32 pm

My workshop is being extended to accommodate my new project that I will start working on in the spring; unfortunately, it does not look like it will be finished before the snow sets in so I will need to store the boat outside for the winter. Is it best to shrink wrap the boat, use tarps or get a temporary garage made of canvas for storage?
1935 Gar Wood 16-35
1929 Gar Wood 28-30

drrot

Post by drrot » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:40 pm

I have had best luck with a "tent" to keep the snow off the hull. I took some saw horses and screwed a 2X4 between them. Set the rig up on the boat and covered it with a cheap blue tarp. Use lots of bunji cords so you don't have to go out and adjust something in the middle of winter.
Jim Staib
www.finewoodboats.com

1947 Penn Yan 12' Cartopper WXH474611
1950 Chris-Craft 22' Sportsman U-22-1532
1957 Chris-Craft 26' Sea Skiff SK-26-515
1968 Century 17' Resorter FG-68-174

Don Vogt
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Vogt » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:27 am

My understanding is there is a consensus not to store a wooden boat on cement, indoors at least, on the theory that it will suck the moisture out of the wood.
1938 Chris Craft 17' Deluxe Runabout "Jennifer II"

Chad Durren

Post by Chad Durren » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:36 am

I store my boat in an unheated, cement-floored garage. I have a digital hygrometer stuck the wall to monitor the humidity. I keep tubs of water under the boat to maintain humidity in the cold, dry winter. It's cheap and easy. I never let it get below 40% RH. And the temp never drops below freezing because the garage is insulated.
1952 CC 18' Sportsman
1969 CC 19' Commander Super Sport

doubleboater

winter storage

Post by doubleboater » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:14 pm

chad, got room in your garage for another one?...... it would be like reuniting two long lost siblings... just kidding...... ( our boats are only 2 digits apart) i may finally feel water under my boat late next summer... jeff

dpw1959

Gas tank empty or full?

Post by dpw1959 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:29 pm

When you are winterizing your boat do you leave the gas tank full or drain the lines and tank as best as possible? I have used Marine Staybil after every fill up buy know that ethanol and evaporation may reek havoc with the tank and engine??

Don Vogt
Club Executive Team

Winterizing

Post by Don Vogt » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:27 pm

The old rule was to leave the tank full to avoid condensation. It seems the thinking now, with the advent of ethanol, is to leave little gas in the tank and use a stabilizer formulated to deal with ethanol. I think the latest issue of classic boating has an article on this.

As for other draining, I drain the carburetor to avoid the gas leaving deposits. I don't think you need to worry about the copper fuel lines, as far as I know.
1938 Chris Craft 17' Deluxe Runabout "Jennifer II"

dpw1959

Ok, still scratching my head?

Post by dpw1959 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:59 pm

I have bought the shelter logic hut for my boat and will be putting it up next weekend but first I want to winterize my '56 Chris Craft Sportman. I have been reading up on this topic and am still confused. For example - leave a full gas tank or get it as empty as possible?
Second- Just get all the water out of the engine block? OR flush anti-freeze through the system while you are flushing out the water?
Third - Change the oil! But I don't know what kind to use and need help with this too.
I know some of these questions may be basic to you veterans but this is my first time so bare with me.
I certainly don't want to do it wrong and have a cracked block come springtime.
Thanks for all your help!!