Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

New trailer

Winterizing? Summerizing? Covering? Trailering? If it is about a boat out of water put it here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

SAMBA

New trailer

Post by SAMBA » Sun May 17, 2020 10:11 pm

I may need to finally get a trailer for my 1953 33' Sedan Cabin cruiser; tired of getting horsed around by the marina. Used trailer is obviously going to be cheaper; quote for new was $13,000. The manufacturing facility that gave that quote for a new one took some measurements, but I have not made any commitments. Is it hard to modify a used trailer? How would I get "official" hull plans to help modify a used one? Don't want to be stuck at the ramp next September, with a boat needing to be hauled,and with a trailer that won't work. Is this one of those situations where it's just the best option to suck it up and buy a new one? Also, checked with a couple marinas and no one knows of any used ones for sale. No major rush right now but September 15 is my hard deadline.
Thanks, Dan (Samba)

Bilge Rat

Re: New trailer

Post by Bilge Rat » Mon May 18, 2020 7:11 am

I have modified quite a few trailers for wood boats up to 25 feet long. There is a lot of on-the-spot engineering and trial and error to get it right. I always over engineer the supports so that I don't have a failure on the road. It's not impossible to do, but for a 33 foot cruiser it will be more intense to get it right. A lot of the supports will need to be under the engine stringers and the bow keel forefoot area.

Are you looking to launch the boat at a ramp on the trailer or one to haul it to a Travel Lift? Big difference between the two. If your intent is to launch on the trailer, I think you'd be better served with someone skilled in large boat trailers.
1966 Lyman Cruisette 25 foot "Serenity Now!"
1953 Chris Craft Sportsman 22 foot "Summerwind"

Captain Nemo

Post by Captain Nemo » Mon May 18, 2020 7:44 pm

I agree withe the Bilge Rat, there is a lot of engineering to get the trailer set up. You will need to set it on with a Travel Lift to get things right, at least the first time. Retrieving a boat that size on a ramp is quite a feat in itself. You will need the right ramp to be able to float it onto the trailer.
Boats are to be made of wood, otherwise, God would have grown fiberglass trees.

maritimeclassics

Post by maritimeclassics » Tue May 19, 2020 8:04 am

We can make one and give you a quote. We made a really nice trailer for a 1953 35' Chris Craft a few years back and its super easy to load and launch. Let me know if I can help, Maritime Classics 231-486-6148
Family member of Chris Craft founder
Owner of Maritime Classics
http://www.maritimeclassics.com
Ph# 231-486-6148

Restoration Projects:
1936 25' Gar Wood Custom
1947 Ventnor Hydroplane
1957 17' Deluxe Runabout
1948 25' Chris Craft Sportsman Twin
1959 19' Sliver Arrow Hull #75
1929 26' Chris Craft Custom Runabout
1937 25' Chris Craft Custom Runabout