Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

CCIQ: Reader Responses

Every so often the executives of The Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club will pose a question asking for your thoughts. Or maybe you have something that you would like to share with us. Step up on the soap box here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton

Bill Basler

CCIQ: Reader Responses

Post by Bill Basler » Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:51 pm

CCIQ: Our Readers Respond

Chris-Craft vintage boat enthusiasts, this is a compilation of all of the repsonses that we have received on the Spring 2006 CCIQ question. The question posed on the Spring issue was:

"This factory photo features a famous 1920’s era crooner (front passenger seat) taking a test cruise in a Chris-Craft upswept triple. Can you name this man with the golden pipes?"

It looks like we didn't stump too many of you. The responses below are in the order that they were received.

I would say that looks like Rudy Vallee, who was born, raised, and laid to rest in Westbrook, Maine. Rudy used to work in his Dad’s drugstore in Valley Square in Westbrook. In the picture, I wonder if he is with Albert G. Frost. Frost had the Chris-Craft dealership on Forest Avenue in Portland, Maine. As the story was told, Rudy had bought many a Chris-Craft from him, and could be seen on the local lakes (Big Sebago, Long Lake etc.) in his Chris-Craft on any day, when he wasn’t in New York performing. Hope I am correct on the picture. — Kip Sears

The gent seated in the front passenger seat of the upswept Chris triple is none other than Rudy Vallee, a well-known crooner from the 1920s and 30s—famous for hits like The Stein Song and As Time Goes By. Again, congratulations on your latest achievements. — Jeff Rogers

The singer/entertainer is Rudy Vallee, sans megaphone. His radio-show opener was “Heigh-ho everybody, this is Rudy Vallee speaking”. He started on radio at WABC, New York, in 1929. During WW-II, Lt. Vallee conducted the US Coast Guard band. — Helen & Larry Reynolds

The answer is Enrico Caruso. — Vernon Velez, Center for Wooden Boats

I think that the “crooner” pictured in the Chris-Craft Triple Upswept (I think it's a 24 -ft) is Rudy Vallee. I am impressed with the marketing style that Chris-Craft displayed at the time by having the Chris-Craft name flying in the breeze, regardless of apparent lack of any wind. My guess is that they “wired the Burgee. NASA did the same thing for the U.S. flag “flying” on the Apollo Moon missions. It is also interesting to see how the actual varnished finish of the triples at the time was more utilitarian and a far cry from the multiple coats of glass-smooth finish we see at today’s shows. — Hank Conkey

If I am not mistaken, that is a photo of Rudy Vallee. — Sheila Cuccaro

Looks like Rudy Vallee to me! — Dave Doner

Hello. I believe the man pictured is Rudy Vallee. — Chad Brenner

Rudy Vallee is the crooner in the passenger seat of the upswept Chris-Craft triple. — Jeff Sornborger

The photo on the back cover looks like Rudy Vallee. My Mom and Dad were big fans. — Alan Isley

With help from my Dad—is it Rudy Vallee? — Craig Clesceri

His name is Rudy Vallee. — Bob Germany

The crooner is Rudy Vallee. Way before my time, but my Grandfather hired him for a benefit ball in 1930 in New Jersey. — Robert Kays

I believe that the famous crooner (and saxophone player) from the 1920s in your Spring 2006 CCIQ section is none other than a young Rudy Vallee. — Allen Burks

The man with the golden pipes in the picture is Rudy Vallee. ‘Way before my time, but I remember him from my grandparents and 1960s television. — Mike Adam

The fellow with the golden pipes is without a doubt Rudy Vallee. — Dolores Tubbs

My guess: Rudy Vallee is seated in the front seat of the boat. — J.R. Wright

The man with the golden pipes shown in the picture on the back of the Spring
2006 Brass Bell is none other than Rudy Vallee. — Kristine Szeszulski

Rudy Vallee. By the way, he was in the Coast Guard — Skip Saunders

In the event he has not been identified, the front passenger is Rudy Vallee. —Don MacKerer
Last edited by Bill Basler on Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Basler

Bill Basler

CCIQ: Summer 2006 Reader Responses

Post by Bill Basler » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:56 pm

Chris-Craft vintage boat enthusiasts, this is a compilation of all of the repsonses that we have received on the Summer 2006 CCIQ question. The question posed on the Summer issue was:

Many of you will recognize this rare, but very well known boat. What Chris-Craft executive purchased this exact boat as his first Chris-Craft purchase? Bonus question: can you identify who named the boat?

This one appears to have been a bit more difficult. Our correct respondant:

This boat is the prototype of the 1939 19-foot Sportsman. My father, A. W. MacKerer designed her, and bought her as his first boat. He proposed to name her like Herb Mendelson had done on his racing runabouts. Herb called them MadeShuMi after his three children, Madeline, Shirley, and Mike. There were three boys in our family, Bill, Don, Peter, and our sister Mary. Mother thought for all of ten seconds before stating, “That’s a wonderful idea Mac, what’ll we call her, BillPeDonMary, or MaryPeDonBill?” When we went down to the plant the next afternoon to see her, Nellie was on her transom. Under those circumstances, it was my father who named her — despite being furious with mother for making fun of his earlier suggestion.
She remains one of my favorite Chris-Crafts. —Don MacKerer
Bill Basler

Bill Basler

CCIQ: Fall 2006 Reader Responses

Post by Bill Basler » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:02 pm

Chris-Craft vintage boat enthusiasts, this is a compilation of all of the repsonses that we have received on the Fall 2006 CCIQ question. The question posed on the Fall issue was:

This late 1930s photo from Portsmouth, Virginia, features a gentleman’s racer named Spud. The boat belongs to Club member Chris Hall. This boat is not known to be a Chris-Craft, but it may have some remote connection to early Smith racers. Do any of you know the history of Spud?

On a 1-10 difficulty scale with 10 being the most difficult, this question appears to be a 10. We had no responses. Spud's lineage remains a mystery.
Bill Basler

Bill Basler

CCIQ: Winter 2007 Reader Responses

Post by Bill Basler » Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:09 pm

Chris-Craft vintage boat enthusiasts, this is a compilation of all of the repsonses that we have received on the Winter 2007 CCIQ question. The question posed on the Winter issue was:

This behemoth Chris-Craft cruiser is on the hoist awaiting sea trials. Despite the size of this triple-screw classic, this hoist was known as the “small boat” hoist. What plant was this photo taken at?

Bill, the photo on the back cover of the Winter 2007 issue was taken at the Algonac plant, probably in the Spring of 1951, judging from the state of the vegetation in the background. The young man leaning against the chine of the 50-foot Catalina is me. I always thought that was one of Chris-Craft’s most handsome cruisers. —Don MacKerer

I believe the 50-foot Catalina pictured in the hoist is at the Algonac, Chris-Craft plant. This is now the Algonac Harbor Club —Mike Adam

This is a Chris-Craft Catalina, made between the years 1951-1954. Optional Engines were triple Chris-Craft MLRs or triple Hercules DIX-6s, which I believe were diesels. The plant was Cadillac, MI.—Unknown E-mail respondant.

The picture on the back cover of the latest Brass Bell is of a 50’ Catalina of the early 1950’s taken at the Algonac plant.

I believe this is a second launching for a water delivery. What we used to do after thoroughly water testing is haul her out to clean her up, sometimes even repaint the bottom, if necessary, and install the interior (mattress, bed spreads, draperies, carpets, furniture, folding top, etc.). If delivered by water, the dealer and owner would be notified and sometimes they would request a launching party. If this was the case we would have the boat hanging as we see in the picture with the flags flying, tanks full already for the owner and his friends to have their christening. After launching the owner would be amazed that the engines would start right up without anyone even looking in the engine room. Of course, no one’s told him the boat had been water tested. This was before engine hour meters, of course.

I believe the man leaning against the boat is Don McKerer and the man with his hands in his pockets is brother Chuck Smith.

Before the cover was built over the steel frame work for this hoist, we had a late fall water delivery. In fact, it was the Friday after Thanksgiving and I was home from school. Instead of bringing a workman in and paying him overtime, Chuck decided he and I could launch this cruiser and turn it over to the owner. This was something all us Smiths liked to do as we are extremely proud of our boats and love to see the expression on the owner’s face when he first sees his new boat. Because of the bad weather, the finishing touches were done inside. We got the boat out and hanging just like in the picture o.k. However, because of a sleet storm the night before, ice on the I-beams prevented the boat from oving sideways out over the water. Guess who had to climb up on the ice covered beams, out over the water, and scrape the ice off? One of the great joys of pleasure boating. —Chris Smith

We received the Winter Brass Bell yesterday, and I immediately noticed the photo on the back cover.

I think that Chris-Craft Corporation, when it was owned by the Smith family, built large cruisers in four locations: Algonac, two plants in Holland, and Pompano Beach.

This boat was built prior to the opening of the Roamer Plant in Holland and the Pompano Beach Plant. This appears to be an early 50’s model. At this time the largest boats built in Holland were 42 footers – this one is larger – so this must be Algonac.

My dad was the Personnel Manager at the Holland Plant during the 50’s and in 1960 moved to Pompano Beach.

Runabouts get all the attention, but Chris-Craft made most of the profits on Cruisers.

Keep up the great work on the magazine. —Gerry Vande Vusse, Jr.

It’s a ’54 50-foot Catalina and was built only in Algonac, as far as I know. It looks like the boat basin behind the plant with Pt. DuChene in background. —Larry David

Keep up the good work with The Brass Bell. It has become a wonderful publication. —Jim Robello

My answer to the mystery picture is “Pompano Beach” factory. – Bob O’Brien

The picture of the hoist in the Winter Brass Bell, was taken at the Algonac Plant and is still in use today. Still visible is the bent support beam that occurred when lifting the 35-ton locomotive, that transported boats from the plant to a rail head near Port Huron, MI, known as the Toonerville Trolley by local residents. —Robert Amoe
Bill Basler

Bill Basler

CCIQ: Spring 2007 Reader Responses

Post by Bill Basler » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:39 pm

Boat Buzzers, The Spring CCIQ is a wrap with the (late, ouch) Summer issue now in the mail. Check back here soon, and review all of the Spring 2007 reader responses. The question posed in the Spring 2007 issue was:

Vice-President in Charge of Sales for Chris-Craft Corporation, Mr. C.R. Burgess, greets a famous Hollywood pinup and her Hungarian-born husband prior to a tour of the Chris-Craft facilities in Pompano Beach, Florida. Who are these famous Chris-Craft enthusiasts?

Jayne Mansfield and Mickey Hargitay parents of Mariska Hargitay of Law & Order SVU. Great issue! – Bob Kays

That’s Jayne Mansfield and Mickey Hargitay. I was Director of Styling at the time and Chuck Burgess turned her over to me to take her on the tour. She was wearing pink shorts and pink shoes. As we walked up stairs to get to the catwalk all the workers whistled and clapped.

She was interested in a 57’ Connie. She wanted it all pink. I thought about the production problems with the fiberglass cabin and hardtop and told her we could paint a pink sheer stripe and boottop on the hull and put pink upholstery of her choice on the interior and the aft deck furniture.

Then I took her back to Burgess for them to work out a deal. – Dick Avery, Delray Beach, FL

The famous Chris-Craft enthusiasts pictured with Mr. Burgess are actress Jayne Mansfield & her husband, 1956 Mr. Universe, Mickey Hargitay. Their daughter, Mariska Hargitay, is an Emmy-winning actress and a star on “Law & Order, SVU (Special Victim’s Unit)” on NBC Television.

Keep up the fun and the great magazine! – Jeff Pielet

The couple on the back cover of the Spring 07 issue of The Brass Bell: Mickey Hargitay (B. 1926) and Jayne Mansfield (B. April 19, 1933 as Vera Jayne Palmer, Bryn Mawr, PA; died in a tragic car accident: June 29, 1967)

Couple appeared together in the worthless sexual farce PROMISES! PROMISES!, a 1963 B&W, 75 minute release filmed partially on the S.S. Independence, the 1951 30,000 ton 683-ft liner of the American Export Lines. – Elmer Kadar, Lakewood, OH

Jayne Mansfield and Mickey Hagerty. – Jim Calvin

The girl in the photo with Chuck Burgess is Jayne Mansfield with her husband Mickey Hargitay. She was killed in a car wreck on Hwy 90 near the Rigolets, just east of New Orleans. Her daughter, who was an infant at that time, is Mariska Hargity who plays a detective on the TV show “Law & Order.” These two were also pictured in the February 1962 issue of “Cruising with Chris-Craft” (copy enclosed). I have original monthly bulletins from 1959, the first one, to 1962.

The couple on the back of the Spring 2007 issue are: Jayne Mansfield (Hagerty) and Mickey Hagerty. Best regards – Tom Coundit PS Good job on the Brass Bell!

The answer to the question on the back cover of your Spring 2007 issue is Jayne Mansfield and Mickey Hargitay. Thank you – Barbara Snyder, Lititz, PA

That’s Jayne Mansfield and Mickey Hagitay in the photo on the back cover. – Lance
Gunther

The Hollywood pin-up is Jane Mansfield; we think her husband was Mickey Hargitay, a bodybuilder or fighter. This answer is a joint effort of Bob Braaf, Chris Smith and myself. The discussion occurred during dinner on July 1. The Smith family met in Cedarville, MI to celebrate Chris’ 80th birthday on July 4. – Gerry VandeVusse

The blonde is Jane Mansfield with her husband (who cares?), bodybuilder Mickey Haggerty. – Bob Breidert

Greetings: Looks like Mariska Hargitay’s mom and dad – Mickey & Jayne (Mansfield).¬– Tom Francis, Connersville, IN
Bill Basler

Bill Basler

CCIQ: Summer 2007 Reader Responses

Post by Bill Basler » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:12 pm

Boat Buzzers, The Summer 2007 Brass Bell CCIQ questions was:

Continuing our recent theme of Hollywood A-listers who also owned Chris-Crafts, can you identify this looker who, with her also famous husband, owned a 1948 or ’49 33-foot cruiser?

And the responses:

The lady is Lucille Ball. Some years ago her daughter made a family documentary. A large part of the show was a collection of home movies. One short clip featured Lucy, Desi, and the Chris-Craft. – John DeVries, George, IA

At first glance I thought she was a ringer for Carol Lombard who was married to Clark Gable. However, being that she died in 1942 there is no way she could have owned a late 40’s model Chris-Craft. Being that most Blond Bombshells from the thirties looked so much alike I am going with a Bombshell of a different color. Little known for success in the thirties, Lucille Ball was one of those carbon copy blonds of the time. Pretty tricky of you to dig back in the archives and find a photo that would throw off most folks that only remember her red hair. If memory serves, Desi and Lucy owned U-22. – Chris Dorflinger

Greetings from Chautauqua County, New York! Our own Lucille Ball who was married to Desi Arnaz is the answer to this issues Hollywood A-lister question. We love the Brass Bell and are big fans of our very own Bill Baldwin!! – Deborah S Reynolds

The Hollywood A-lister on the back of your issue would be Lucille Ball and her famous husband was Desi Arnaz. I love looking at your magazine even though my husband is the Chris-Craft fan. – Jean DeLucca, Islip, NY

Lucille Ball. – William Schmidt

The glamour shot is very early publicity still of Lucille Ball. She was marriedd to Desi Arnez, the Cuban bandleader when they owned the 1948 or 1949 33-foot cruiser in question. – Gary Gebhardt
Bill Basler

Bill Basler

CCIQ: Fall 2007 Reader Responses

Post by Bill Basler » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:23 pm

The Fall 2007 Brass Bell CCIQ questions was:

This issue’s CCIQ should be easy for some of you. This photo was taken in a
Chris-Craft factory. Can you name the factory and the department?

And the responses:

The picture on the back cover should be at the Chris-Craft factory in Salisbury, MD where the Sea Skiffs were made in the late 50s through late 60s. And the department should be the finishing production line for cruisers built in 1960. The reason I know this is that in the picture to the far left upper corner is a 30 ft Sea Skiff Cruiser, like the one that we own. Ours is hull #780 of the 789 built in 1960. Thanks, Jim McCormick, ACBS/Annapolis, MD Chapter.

Could it be Salisbury, MD? I believe the department is “motor installation and trim.” Additionally, I believe the year could be sometime in the 1950s. The boats are Chris-Craft Sea Skiffs. Assuming it is Salisbury, the plant built most of the Sea Skiffs manufactured by Chris-Craft, with a few exceptions. The Pompano Beach, FL factory built some Skiffs when the plant was first opened, in 1957? I believe, starting in the early 60s, all the Skiffs were built in Salisbury, with the exception of the 42’ Sea Skiff which was built in Pompano. The 42’ was the largest Sea Skiff ever built by Chris-Craft. The Salisbury plant, if not the largest boat building plant in the world at the time, was for sure one of the largest. The Salisbury plant built Sea Skiffs, Cavaliers, and Chris-Craft “Aqua Homes” (now known as house boats). The plant manager’s name in Salisbury was Willis Richardson. The plant manager in Pompano was Jim Pocklington. Sometime in the early 60s Willis moved to Pompano to head the purchasing department, and Jim moved to Salisbury as plant manager. Regards, Wes Dickman

Boats are Sea Skiffs built in Salisbury, MD plant. The department is the “paint department”, that only place that was that clean and devoid of tools and saws and drills and drivers. I would venture 1955 or 1956. – Jim Wick

This photo was taken in the new Salisbury, MD plant in about 1957, where most of the Sea Skiff’s were built. This photo was of the joiner department. If you look to the starboard side you can see canvas roll up curtains that separate the paint & varnish departments from the rest of the plant. – Chris Smith

The pictures in the fall issue is the paint shop at Salisbury, Maryland. My father was plant manager there. Thank you. – Joe & Carole Pocklington, N Ft Myers, FL

I think it’s the Chris-Craft Sea Skiff Plant in Salisbury, Maryland. – Jerry LeCompte
For current Fall 2007 issue: Salisbury, MD plant, Sea Skiff Division. – Eric Dahler

I’m guessing the back cover shot is of the Salisbury, Maryland plant, built after I left the firm. This based on the observation the boats are Sea-Skiffs and that facility was built for that line. – Donald Mackerer
Bill Basler

Bill Basler

CCIQ: Winter 2008 Reader Responses

Post by Bill Basler » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:24 pm

The Winter 2008 Brass Bell CCIQ question was:

This photo shows a dedicated Chris-Craft employee stitching a V-berth cushion on a seam closure machine. Can you tell what factory this photo was taken at? If you’re really good you may even know the employee’s name!

And the responses:

Out of curiosity, was the photo of the employee stitching the V-berth cushion taken at either the Holland or Algonac plant? I used to visit the Roamer plant in Holland (where our boat was built). The Chris plant was right across the street. Gite Van Kampen, the Roamer Plant Manager, mentioned there used to be a plant in Algonac as well. Just wondering. – Jeff Pielet

The correct answer was the Holland, Michigan plant.
Bill Basler

Bill Basler

CCIQ: Spring 2008 Reader Responses

Post by Bill Basler » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:32 pm

The Spring 2008 Brass Bell CCIQ question was:

The photo below was submitted by Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club member, E.W. Heinrich of Grosse Ile, Michigan. E.W. poses the question, “What is the history of this Chris-Craft ‘dealership’?”

And the responses:

Hi. This is Walter Prior’s boat building facility in Ozona, Florida. I own a 1975 Catalina and was lucky to have him right next door. Parts I would need to order out of Michigan were 50 yards away. Some rusty but he kept me running. No computers, inventory and parts location was in his head. Prices were kept on index cards. If you needed a tool, he would loan it to you and tell you the correct way to fix your problem. He build many wood boats in this shop and amazingly some are still in the water today considering the harsh conditions here in Florida.

Sadly, he passed away approximately 5 years ago well into his 80s and a ton of experience and knowledge is lost. The facility is now owned by Home Port Marina which is 100 yards away. The Dive sign went up after Walter passed. His son briefly tried to run a dive service out of the facility. I was told his brother or sister wanted to sell so both signs recently were taken down. Remaining parts were sold to Michigan. He was a kind man and I enjoyed many talks with him of the good old days of wooden boats in Florida. PS That is not snow near the building!—Charles Cowles
Bill Basler

Bill Basler

CCIQ: Summer 2008 Reader Responses

Post by Bill Basler » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:36 pm

The Summer 2008 Brass Bell CCIQ question was:

This photo comes from the depths of the Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club archive. Can you tell at which factory this photo was taken?”

And the responses:

Highly credentialed member Don MacKerer was the first in the mailbox with this response. “This is admittedly a guess, but I think this is the marine motors building at Algonac with the engines awaiting shipment to the branch plants.”

Don, you were close — about 214 miles to the east to be exact.
The photo was actually taken at the Holland plant.
Bill Basler

Bill Basler

CCIQ: Fall 2008 Reader Responses

Post by Bill Basler » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:42 pm

The Fall 2008 Brass Bell CCIQ question was:

This vintage snapshot, provided by member Matt Smith, was labeled “Having fun with a motorboat on Lake {Name}. Photo by Leon.” Can you identify the lake?

And the responses: Time's a wastin'. Get your response in now at [email protected]
Bill Basler

TRANS AM

Post by TRANS AM » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:43 pm

Bob Fellers Cleveland Indians