Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Letters: Spring 2006 Brass Bell Feedback

Every so often the executives of The Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club will pose a question asking for your thoughts. Or maybe you have something that you would like to share with us. Step up on the soap box here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton

Bill Basler

Letters: Spring 2006 Brass Bell Feedback

Post by Bill Basler » Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:52 pm

Letters

Chris-Craft vintage boat enthusiasts, this is a compilation of all of the feedback that we have received on the Spring 2006 issue of The Brass Bell, as of the "content close" deadline for the Summer issue.

Kudos on a great new look for an already tremendous publication and organization. Thanks to all you’ve collectively done over the years in sustaining and promoting the heritage of Chris-Craft. We look forward to partnering with the Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club and all the other marque organizations in furthering the shared cause of antique and classic boating in the years to come. — Jeff Rogers, ACBS

Congratulations to all who made this publication what it is today. We now have the finest periodical devoted to antique boating in the entire world, bar none. Sincere thanks to all. — Bill Tarbrake

Kudos to the whole team for your improvements to The Brass Bell! Your hard work is very evident. It’s amazing what a dose of 21st century technology can do. I suspect many of us will be designating a new location on the coffee table for this publication; move over Showboats! — Ed Laning

The new design of The Bell looks great, has a lot of substance in it, and the layout is real good. I know ads pay for the cost of the magazine. But when you have 2/3 ads compared to 1/3 story I want to lay the book down right away. Putting it in plastic for mailing is a good idea too. — Kip Sears

Just received the new Brass Bell. You have done a great job in redesigning the magazine. It is much crisper and the content has improved. It was a pleasure to read. Also I would like to thank you for putting Sugar Lady on the cover. It was an honor for the boat and myself. I look forward to the redesign of the Chris-Craft Web site. Keep up the great work. — Phil Andrews

Who can match this? What a job. You all have it down pat. Sure has class. Thanks! — Tommy Jackson

The Brass Bell arrived in yesterday’s mail, and it is spectacular! It has always been a top-notch publication, and you have successfully continued to raise the bar with regards to the professionalism, content, and presentation of the magazine. You are truly a treasure to this great hobby that we all share! Warmest Regards — Suellyn

Who has the latest Brass Bell? Mine arrived yesterday, and all I can say is “wow”! The new and improved version is absolutely fantastic. The printing, layout, photos, and articles are all outstanding. This is a coffee-table quality publication, really! Kudos to Wilson and his group for a super fine job. — Lawrence Neisler

I got The Brass Bell, and frankly was so stunned I have yet to compile my thoughts. I started an E-mail the second I got it—and it just sounded corny. “Love it” is such a small phrase. It was inspiring. You have, with the new design, elevated the Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club into one of the premier groups in the category. The detail of textures, the fonts are perfect. The articles are dead-on and worth reading. The photos and retouching are world class. — Matt Smith

Great new magazine! Very impressive new issue. — Scott Newcombe

Just received my new Brass Bell. Congratulations! It is beautiful! You and your team have created a masterful improvement in the club. More than happy to pay the increased dues for this kind of product. — James Ferris

Hats off to all! I’m sure all who read the new Brass Bell will feel the same. Great job. — Mike Vauris

Great Spring 2006 issue. Thank you! — Dave Doner

Great publication, and I certainly wouldn’t worry about the increase to $35 per year, as I get a lot more with The Brass Bell now! As they say in Arkansas you’all done good! — Larry Myer

The Brass Bell is outstanding; you have all done a fantastic job! Well done guys! — Tim Finnerty

Wow! What a great issue of The Brass Bell. You all have come into the 21st Century with style and class. Thank you for all of the years that you have invested to bring the organization to this level.
— Dean Reynolds

I received the “new” Brass Bell this morning in the mail. I can’t believe such a high-quality publication comes from a club. Is our membership payment really going to cover such great work? If I had to buy a magazine like this in a retail store I would have to dish out close to half of what I pay for membership dues. Another great reason for anybody thinking about wooden boats to be/become a member of this great club and reap the many benefits. Look at the ‘how to’ and ‘history’ articles alone. What a great value in today’s world. Bill, Wilson, and all the rest of the staff—another great job well done. The wife, normally not so verbal about my hobby, said she loves the quality, but missed the anchor and gothic font from the old front covers. Can’t win them all but she did read it cover to back before I had a chance. Thanks again.
— E-J Ohler

Wilson, all I could mutter when I first received my spring issue of The Brass Bell is “Wow!” The magazine was terrific before, but now you’re in a class of your own. — Jeff Funk

Bill, I gotta say that was a beautiful issue of The Brass Bell. Congrats to all involved. — Jack Lynett

Very nice job on the refit of The Bell. Very nice. —Sam Wilson

I could not let the day go by without writing to say how beautiful the new Brass Bell is. The new format, the photography, and the well-written stories are just wonderful. This is not just a magazine any longer, it is a “coffee table” book! Keep up the good work, and many thanks. — John Williams

The new look over all is great and long over due. Everything is well done, love your type selections and layout. The Bell is now a magazine; the perfect binding makes a beautiful finish. Your greatest challenge will be filling it now. —Rick Schaffer

Congratulations on the last (winter) issue of The Brass Bell, especially the cruisers getting the recognition they deserve. — Paul Kohr

My dad bought me a membership in the club. We are almost finished with our boat after a four-year restoration process. We thought it would be simple stripping, staining and re-varnishing but as you know, once you get into it, you find all the details you need to fix to make the boat right again and we couldn’t have done it without being a member of the club. So hat’s off to you for keeping it all together. I look forward to reading articles in The Brass Bell. They’re always so informative. — Wayne Rogers

Wow — I was a journalist in college and this (spring Brass Bell) takes second place to no one. This one is awesome. — Bob Mettler

The best 35 bucks I’ll spend all year!! — Mike Mayer

Bill, the ad in The Brass Bell was all that you claimed, plus some. The remake of the magazine is wonderful. Congratulations on a job well done. The future of the Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club is assured. Keep up the great work. — Ed Gallagher

Thank you for your support! — Lloyd Thurston

Just a great new Brass Bell. Had a few calls from other members to make sure I received the new issue. Always wondered if the group could get better, now thanks to new blood and Wilson’s leadership it has. — Phil Joyce

What a wonderful surprise to receive The Brass Bell spring issue. Congratulations, first class. — Reg Norris

Last night I read the entire Brass Bell cover to cover. Best I have ever seen. I subscribe to Wooden Boat, Classic Boat, Rusty Rudder, Wooden Canoe and others but this is by far the best. Keep up the do-it-yourself articles like bottom repair and varnish polishing. I’ve been a member of this club for about 25 years and it keeps getting better. Thanks again to Wilson Wright. — Joe Oliver

I really appreciate the job you and your fellow directors are doing to make your expertise available to us in the general membership. The forum, along with the ever improving club magazine are making Club membership a must have for all wood boat enthusiasts. Of all the boating clubs I belong to, ours is the best value by far. — John Todd
Bill Basler