Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Utilities in St. Louis area

Every so often the executives of The Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club will pose a question asking for your thoughts. Or maybe you have something that you would like to share with us. Step up on the soap box here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton

Bill Basler

Utilities in St. Louis area

Post by Bill Basler » Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:33 pm

I received this email recently. The first part below is the original request, the second part of the message my response to her. After a few back-and-forth emails it appears that she is looking for a utility of 40s, 50s or early 60s vintage. If you are interested, contact me and I will relay your information to the director.

Bill
=================================
I'm a director doing my first feature film in the St. Louis area, a psychological thriller starring Melissa George, Justin Theroux, and Justin Bartha. We need an antique boat for a few lake scenes (approx 3 days of shooting). Do you know of any owners in Missouri or Illinois who would be interested in renting their boat for film production? We need something with an open seating area that can fit seven people, so the larger the boat, the better, preferably twenty or more feet, between 1940-1965. We were also informed there are modern reproductions of many Chris Craft boats. If you have any information or know of anyone for us to speak to, I would be grateful.

Any help would be duly appreciated!

Sincerely,
Carolyn Miller
Perfect Weekend Films
================================
Depending on your exact needs we can likely get you connected with a few boats. To handle approx. seven persons, you are likely looking at a 22' boat minimum, larger would definitely be better for all. In boats of this size range there are smal cruisers, runabouts (which typically have cockpits with two to three seating areas, or "utility" style boats which have an open floor plan with an engine box in the center of the floor.

I have attached a few reference photos here. The one thing that might come into play here is exact vintage of the boat needed. I don't know whether you are trying to be period correct for the 40's, 50's or 60's. There are boats of these styles in any of these decades. It is just a matter of learning more about your intentions.

We have quite a number of members in Illinois and Missouri. With a bit more information, we can try to find you a few candidates.
Bill Basler

E-J Ohler

St. Lois area movie

Post by E-J Ohler » Mon May 08, 2006 7:16 pm

Hey what happened did anybody offer a 25' open Sea Skiff or 22' Utility, etc.
Did the director hook up with somebody?
Keep us informed.
E-J

Dick Baner

Utility in st louis area

Post by Dick Baner » Tue May 09, 2006 12:25 am

Hello, I have a 22 ft 1959 sea skiff about 3 hrs from St. Louis I would consider providing for this effort.
Contact me at [email protected] It has about the same space as the aboat shown on the buzz masthead. The boat has just passed the coast guard inspection on the Illinois River at Peoria.
1967 33' Chris Craft SeaStrake
"Wave Toucher III,
1965 18' Carver Captain I/O "Wave Toucher II
1974 12' Alcort Minifish,
1973 15' Chrysler Mutineer "Wind Toucher"

E-J Ohler

Movie Boat

Post by E-J Ohler » Tue May 09, 2006 5:32 am

There you go Bill. I've nothing against 22' runabouts or utilities (as I want one), but as one of seven passengers I would feel a lot saver in the 22' Sea Skiff on the Mighty Miss.
E-J

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Wed May 10, 2006 9:58 am

Ironically, I just heard back from the director of this film this morning. Thank you all for responding and thanks E-J for jogging my memory on this. Dick, I will forward your contact information directly to her. I will copy you on the email so that you will have her information as well.

Give us a report on what this experience was like, should it come to be.
Bill Basler

Dick Baner

utilities in St. Louis area

Post by Dick Baner » Sun May 21, 2006 8:27 am

Bill, On receiving your message I sent a page from the chris craft book covering a 22 ft ranger skiff and a couple of photos of my boat to the lady. Have heard nothing from her so perhaps she was looking for a different style or size of boat. dick baner
1967 33' Chris Craft SeaStrake
"Wave Toucher III,
1965 18' Carver Captain I/O "Wave Toucher II
1974 12' Alcort Minifish,
1973 15' Chrysler Mutineer "Wind Toucher"

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Tue May 23, 2006 11:30 am

Dick:

Thanks for the effort. This lady seems to have fallen off of the face of the earth. I have tried to contact her numerous times. You have done what you can do. We'll consider this a closed issue at least for now.
Bill Basler