Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Matching Challenge Grant

Every so often the executives of The Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club will pose a question asking for your thoughts. Or maybe you have something that you would like to share with us. Step up on the soap box here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton

Bill Basler

Matching Challenge Grant

Post by Bill Basler » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:30 pm

In the Spring 2008 Brass Bell (which has unfortunately suffered from numerous delays) you may have noted, or will soon note an article in the Beacon section headed, "An Important Partnership With the Collectors Foundation." This story is an important one for this Club. I will include a post of it here following this message.
Bill Basler

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:05 pm

The short version of this story is that the Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club has been awarded a generous $10,000 Challenge Matching Grant by the Collectors Foundation. For more information about the Collectors Foundation, see www.collectorsfoundation.org/

To say that we are happy with this award is an understatement. This Grant will help us as a Club as we grow things such as our online Archive. In fact, this specific Grant has been earmarked for that purpose.

Like many things in life, there is no free lunch. Since this is a Matching Challenge Grant, we need to raise $10,000 of our own. If we do, we have $20,000 for the remainder of 2008 to augment the online archive that is currently underway.

As an example of this effort, I have, in the past 48 hours, added approximately 7,500 more pages of content to the Online Archive. There is now a bunch of new content from the 40s, 50, 60s and 80s. As well, there should be an additional 2,500 pages of content coming online by the end of the week.

I will not bore you all with all of the technology gibberish, but to bring this amount of content online, OCRed and fully searchable is an undertaking in both human and technology resources.The Grant will help offset some of the costs being incurred.

We're very proud of the start that we have on the Archive—yet, we have a long ways to go. And like Boat Buzz, I don't personally view the Online Archive as ever being "done." It will continue to grow over time, as long as we have funding.

You'll note a "Chip In!" device (like the one below) on our Club home page at www.chris-craft.org.

If you're pleased with where we're going as a Club, please find it in your annual budget to include a donation to the Challenge Matching Grant. Of course your donations are voluntary and should be tax deductible. If you are considering a larger donation, please seek the advice of your tax counsel.

Large donation or small—we will all benefit from your contributions, and if we should meet or exceed the $10,000 challenge, then the additional funds from the Collectors Foundation are ours.
Bill Basler

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:01 pm

Here is the story from the Spring 2008 Brass Bell:

A few months back, I had the pleasure of meeting with Mr. Bob Knechel, Executive Director of The Collectors Foundation. Bob was kind enough to drive to Cedar Rapids, Iowa from Traverse City, Michigan on a cold February day, specifically to meet face-to-face, and to learn more about the Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club.

What is The Collectors Foundation? Like the Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club, The Collectors Foundation is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. Both organizations provide ongoing education, and support to antique and classic vehicle collectors, restorers, and educators.
During our meeting, Bob learned of our growth — some 1,000 new members in just over a year. He also learned about Boat Buzz, TradingDock.org, our new Online Hull Registry, and our Online Archive. And most importantly, perhaps, he learned that the above-mentioned educational projects are funded entirely through membership dues, and thousands of hours of volunteer time.

I came away from our meeting impressed by Bob Knechel, and his vision for The Collectors Foundation. A passage from The Collectors Foundation Website states their approach very well:

When it comes to the long-term interests of the hobbies we love, much more can be accomplished for the benefit of collector vehicle and classic boat hobbies when acting together rather than individually. The Collectors Foundation is an important tool for collectors who want to participate in cooperative philanthropy.

By providing a donation to the Foundation, you will be helping to preserve our hobbies in the form of grants and scholarships to vehicle and classic boat clubs and museums, accredited colleges with special automotive or boat programs and more.

Bob made a soft appeal to me — to understand this concept of cooperative philanthropy. He went on to describe the relationships that The Collectors Foundation has made within the marine niché — with scholarships and donations to Great Lakes Boat Building School, International Yacht Restoration School (IYRS), The Landing School for Boatbuilding and Design, and McPherson College to name a few.

These organizations are the grass roots of our hobby — training our youth in preservation and restorative processes. The Collectors Foundation is supported by corporate donors, such as FedEx Custom Critical, Hagerty Insurance, Speed Channel, Coach-Net, and RM Auctions, to name a few.

Equally as important are contributions from individuals like you. We can all take part in making our hobby stronger and more viable through our contributions — large or small.

As a demonstration of cooperative philanthropy, I returned from the Tavares, Florida Boat Show, to a letter on my desk from Bob Knechel, on behalf of The Collectors Foundation Board.

It seems that The Collectors Foundation Board was impressed enough by Bob’s recap of our meeting, and our follow-up grant application, that your Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club has been awarded a $10,000 Matching Challenge Grant to be earmarked for continued development of our Online Archive.

A “Matching Challenge Grant” is just as it sounds: The Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club will receive $10,000 from The Collectors Foundation as soon as we can match the grant with $10,000 of our own monies through the voluntary contributions of our members.
If we are successful in this campaign, our Club will have a $20,000 budget for the remainder of 2008, to apply towards our Online Archive project. Enhancements will include scanning and processing additional content, and interface/usability refinements.

Now, I would like to make an appeal to all of you. If you believe in what we are doing as a Club, and have received some benefit out of the recent enhancements that we have made, please find it in your household budget to make a voluntary contribution to this matching challenge grant. And if you believe, as I do, in the concept of cooperative philanthropy, and the grooming of young enthusiasts, please consider a donation to The Collector Foundation as well.

We will have a voluntary contribution option on all membership renewal forms. As well, you can donate by check, or by using PayPal’s “Send Money” feature, noting the Club’s PayPal account bbasler[at symbol]chris-craft.org. We also have a donation link on the Club’s Website at www.chris-craft.org, or you may call 319.247.7207 and contribute by credit card. Thank you for keeping the momentum going.
Bill Basler

cenger

Post by cenger » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:47 pm

I do not see the Chip in link on the home page. Is it my computer or is the link broken?

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:39 am

I see it from all of the...er....half a dozen computers that I sit at. Is anyone else having trouble seeing this?

Bill Basler