Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Spring 2007 Brass Bell

Every so often the executives of The Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club will pose a question asking for your thoughts. Or maybe you have something that you would like to share with us. Step up on the soap box here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton

Bill Basler

Spring 2007 Brass Bell

Post by Bill Basler » Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:51 pm

Most of you should have your Spring 2007 Brass Bell by now. Please share your thoughts. I would love to hear from any of you, but it is especially important that I hear feedback from those of you who typically remain quiet.

Likes? Dislikes?

The Summer issue is going together now. We have a feature boat for Summer that will turn some heads. Stay tuned.
Bill Basler

drrot

Post by drrot » Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:06 pm

Bill,
Great coverage and interesting articles. Big problem was it arrived same day as CLASSIC BOATING and I was up late as i had to finish both!
Keep up the good work!
JIM

THE RAZZ

Post by THE RAZZ » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:02 pm

Bill,
Another great publication. Terrific articles. Interesting subjects. Very nice presentation. The close up cover shot is unusual and dramatic.
Have you given thought to offering a official binder to keep the collection nicely organized?

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:19 pm

Binders are a good idea Jerry. I wonder how many out there would be interested? And thanks Jim for the nice compliments. I will try to start getting these back on time so we don't cramp your style!
Bill Basler

THE RAZZ

Post by THE RAZZ » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:33 pm

re Brass Bell binders....an annual binder with the year on the spine would make for nice bookshelf storage and convenient grouping of issues by year. Put me down for an annual binder, if the idea catches on.

The Brass Bell has in each issue important history, research & ideas which help us practice what Mark O'Donnell preached, "If you have an antique boat, you should use it" That of course means lots of tending/upkeep and the Brass Bell is one very good collection ideas that help make that possible.

For what its worth, our CC should look AND perform as they did when they came from the factory. Performance is an equal part of the equation. I can't imagine CC building a runabout they thought would be largely a dock barge or trailer queen. Heaven forbid.

Hank the Plank/Roll Deck Retrospective/designers intent/cross Florida Cruise...could it be better. Not.

However, a cautionary note re pre war engine paint. On a closely related issue, unmolested stain on the king plank was presented to Barry Ludwig (Tahoe Chief Judge) several years ago. In this case the issue was the color hue of the stain.
Barry observed that the hue of the stain was inconclusive because it was 65 yrs. old and had been subjected to the elements over time. There were too many variables to make it definitive and thus a rage of hues would be acceptable.

Regarding pre war engine paint, even if the research team found completely unused factory painted parts, the hue would likely degrade over 65+ years. Without a factory formula from the archive, these parts will at best be an indicator, but not likely definitive as far as the hue of blue.

Thanks to everyone for a great publication. Congratulations
JerryT.

Dale Harris

Spring Brass Bell Feedback

Post by Dale Harris » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:39 pm

Bill,
Once again I'm blown away with the quality of the Brass Bell. It is, in my humble opinion, a world class magazine. There's only one problem, I can't put it down until I've read the whole thing! Congratulations to all involved.

Dale
1955 Chris-Craft 29' Semi-Enclosed Crusier "Mon Ami"