Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

frozen intake lines

If it doesn't pertain to metal, wood, wire or fabric—but it is about vintage Chris-Crafts, ask your question or give your advice here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Kade06

frozen intake lines

Post by Kade06 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:43 pm

Im in north texas and usually weather is not an issue however due to this week I noticed the intake lines to the engine and the intake to the head(toilet) was frozen probably a few inches up from the bottom of the boat. I have always drained the engine so havent needed heat lamps or at least I didnt think. Im afraid to run anything electrical as we all know wood and flames dont go together. So has anybody else come across this and besides the obvious (heat) anybody got any advice. The hoses are new, engine hoses are 3 months old and head hose is 2 years. Thanks for any help.

57 chris

Post by 57 chris » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:59 am

As a veteran of cold weather up here in the north country I have had an experience or two such as yours. How cold has it been there? I am just trying to get a feel for how hard things are frozen. I would introduce heat to the affected areas SLOWLY. As things begin to thaw the ice will expand even more so this is the critical time. If you force thaw there is more potential for damage. If things aren't frozen rock solid you might escape with no damage especially since the hoses are new.

Craig
1957 18' SeaSkiff #SK 18675 "Knot Sure!"
1958 18' SeaSkiff #SK18722 "Wreckreation"

Past projects: 1972 19' Lancer with 307 Volvo drive-Great Blue, 1968 23' Lancer Offshore with 283 Volvo drive-Narwahl
1988 FourWinns 245 Vista - Blue Ayes.

It's good to have wood!

JohnKadimik

Post by JohnKadimik » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:16 am

Maybe sqme heat tape would work or anti-freeze down the hoses. Good Luck!

gbraker

Post by gbraker » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:06 am

Years ago after that volcano in the Philippines blew up we had a sudden freeze. It was in early November and I had the boat in the water. You could walk around it on the ice. The water pump froze up on one of the engines. I had been running the engines every 4 or 5 hours to prevent freezing. I used a 120 volt 100 watt lamp next to the pump to thaw it. It worked OK after wards, maybe I was just lucky, but after about a week it warmed up and the ice thawed and I got the boat out.
Gary R Braker

gbraker

Post by gbraker » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:25 am

I forgot one other thing. I closed all the vents to keep the cold out. I just stuffed them full of rags.

Just make sure gas is turned off, and there are no fumes.
Gary R Braker

ed laning

Post by ed laning » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:15 pm

A clamp-on shop light positioned near the affected areas usually helps bring the temperature up warm enough to slowly melt the affected area. Heaters designed for use in the engine room are safer and better.

Ed
1978 22' CC Dory outboard

Kade06

frozen lines

Post by Kade06 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:24 pm

It was single digits a few nights in a row.The lake froze which has happened two years in a row now and the first time I've seen it do it since the early 80's. So much for global warming. Thawing the engine lines wasn't a problem however the line to the head is partially below the bathroom floor so getting the botom half thawed was an adventure. Just got done taking hose from back of head and putting warm water down it and that worked. So were all clear for now. I did think about the antifreeze thing but would it stay in line or just run out into the lake?