Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

1962 CC Skier - New to Me

If it doesn't pertain to metal, wood, wire or fabric—but it is about vintage Chris-Crafts, ask your question or give your advice here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

edward.desimone

1962 CC Skier - New to Me

Post by edward.desimone » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:35 am

Hey guys - I'm Eddy and about to be a new Chris Craft owner of a 1962 Skier. I'm a newbie to the wooden boat club and looking forward to the pains and benefits that come along with it. I've owned boats my entire life, including my current Four Winns 240 Horizon but this is a whole different area of fun I've been itching to get into.

I'm up in Central, NH on Lake Winnipesaukee (fresh water) and anticipate using the boat for daily late evening cruises. I've heard these boats should either stay in the water or out of the water so I'd love to have some more details on experiences. Right now, I plan to get the boat ready and drop in and out of the water on a daily basis when I want to use it (e.g., Sunday afternoon cruise, etc.). I believe the hull will have to be soaked to help the wood expand but I also need to spend a weekend sanding and varnishing it. It's not perfect but certainly not a full restoration by any means. I'm going to have tons of questions as I move forward and have already ordered a book :)

To start, would love to know experiences about dropping the boat in daily and anything that should be done to accommodate. Secondly, any recommendations as far as sanding and varnishing goes to get this "sea worthy" to start enjoying in the near future?

Some pictures attached. Thanks in advance and looking forward to joining the club!

Eddy
Attachments
CC_transom.jpg
CC_engine.jpg
CC_vinyl.jpg
CC_interior.jpg
CC_hull damage.jpg
Chris Craft.jpg

matthew.smith

Re: 1962 CC Skier - New to Me

Post by matthew.smith » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:34 am

Welcome Eddy. Very cool boat, and one of the last of the woodys, so worthy. Where you are located is an amazing area and has a wonderful classic boat community. Looks like you will have some fun working on your boat, and it will certanly need to soak up. My wife always asks me when I get a new old boat. Does it float. I our world thats a normal question. Does it? Looks like some rough sides there. Have you used it yet? If it starts and runs and floats. Use it. Leave it in the water it will love that and swell up. Take it in and out and it will be a shrink swell back and forth deal. Leave it in. Make sure your battery is strong and the bilge, or two of them.
Enjoy the boat and see if you like it. Love it, and then start working on it. I spent three years restoring a boat, and then decided I didnt like the ride. Enjoy and welcome to a wonderful community. No question is too dumb. Trust me.
Woody Boater
1948 CC 25' Sportsman - WECATCHEM
1937 CC 16' Special Racer - Stinky
1968 Rice 40 - Trawler - Sweet Pea

WoodenRookie

Post by WoodenRookie » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:28 am

Welcome aboard, nice project, like Matt said, put on a fake a lake and get motor purring, then get it in the water, lots of instruction on first time soaking in the archives. Work on her pretty later.
1959 18' Continental "Knot Yet"
2013 Cobalt 200WSS
1977 Lakescraft Pontoon

edward.desimone

Post by edward.desimone » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:20 am

Thanks both. Exactly what I intend on doing. Motor first (I think I need a new starter) and then I'm going to fill up the hull with water for a few days to swell up and see if anything material. Then it's likely time for the water. I plan on going through as much as I can through the end this year before I get into any major restoration but ideally it will be motor, then float it, then exterior and followed by interior. It definitely needs to work but for the price, I couldn't refuse it and looking forward to learning and working on her.

kiitos

Post by kiitos » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:20 am

Be very careful on how much water you put in the boat before launching. A little at a time is okay to keep the bottom wet. But too much water could pull the bottom planks away from the frames.
'78 Chris Craft 30' Sportsman
'49 Chris Craft 25' Sportsman - Twin "K"s

edward.desimone

Post by edward.desimone » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:04 am

Thanks, Kiitos. Any other recommendations for a first launch then? I'm going to get the motor firing soon and then after that I want to see about getting it wet to understand (1) if it's going to float alright and (2) what it's got for pain points. I know it needs some work but it hasn't been ran/floated in at least 2 years. Structurally, it looks pretty good but certainly has areas that may need more attention.

Jim Godlewski

Post by Jim Godlewski » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:22 am

Welcome aboard Eddy!
I'm not experienced with original bottoms but have been around long enough to have heard all about them. Like Kiitos said, we've heard bad things happen when folks add water inside an old wood boat. Get it to the lake and let it soak, if you don't have the means to do it yourself I'm sure someone on the lake with a hoist will do it for you.
What book did you order? My brother and I followed Don Danenberg's how to restore your wooden runabout and found it to be the only way to get it done for the first timer.
As far as your question on dropping your boat in daily, my opinion is the boat's bottom should be replaced with new materials to eliminate the need to soak. This way you can keep her on a trailer and drop it in whenever you want and go boating.
I know.... one thing at a time and bottoms are a lot of work and money... (but worth it)
Think safety first... I'm assuming you have a fire extinguisher, bucket, tow rope and PFD's. Take it slow and have fun! I'm certain your list will grow. Keep us posted.
1956 17 Sportsman CC-17-2310
1930 Model 100 7152

edward.desimone

Post by edward.desimone » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:19 pm

I ordered the Art of Loving and Caring for wooden boats. Should be here this week but will likely order more. I'm curious about the bottom. I have bottom paint on there currently but there is going to be areas that will need to be addressed. In time, I plan to do a full update to all of the wood (once I figure out areas that need more attention, etc.) but I'd also love to figure out alternatives for the bottom so I can drop in and out on a daily basis without worry.

edward.desimone

Post by edward.desimone » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:22 pm

Jim Godlewski wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:22 am

What book did you order? My brother and I followed Don Danenberg's how to restore your wooden runabout and found it to be the only way to get it done for the first timer.
I just looked this book up and it's $235 used in paperback?! Wow, it must be the bible for restoring wooden boats. Let me know if i'm missing something or if it's genuinely worth it to go this route. Thanks!

drrot

Post by drrot » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:01 pm

It's a great resource. See if it is available at your library or on CD
Jim Staib
www.finewoodboats.com

1947 Penn Yan 12' Cartopper WXH474611
1950 Chris-Craft 22' Sportsman U-22-1532
1957 Chris-Craft 26' Sea Skiff SK-26-515
1968 Century 17' Resorter FG-68-174