Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

how to remove the mast on a 32'constalaton

If it doesn't pertain to metal, wood, wire or fabric—but it is about vintage Chris-Crafts, ask your question or give your advice here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

[email protected]

how to remove the mast on a 32'constalaton

Post by [email protected] » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:34 am

how to remove the mast on a 32' constellation

Captain Nemo

Re: how to remove the mast on a 32'constalaton

Post by Captain Nemo » Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:38 am

Hi, welcome to the Boat Buzz. Removing the mast from the mount is usually pretty straightforward, I’m going to assume that you are going to want to take the mount off from the cabin top. The mount has some machine screws up from the bottom through the cabin top, meaning you will have to deal with the headliner somehow. If the headliner isn’t anything great I just feel around for the heads of the screws and poke some holes for access. If you have a good headliner, removing it to get to the screws is the only way. Hope this helps :| .
Boats are to be made of wood, otherwise, God would have grown fiberglass trees.

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:36 pm

a pic would help.....I have done that job...John in Va
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
19?? custom Argentine Runabout 16'
1954 Whirlwind deluxe dual ckpt 16'
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)

todd.zacharias

Post by todd.zacharias » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:59 am

If the mast is of the folding variety you can remove it without taking the base off of the cabin top. There is an “eye screw” underneath towards the back. If you unscrew that the mast will fold forward. From there if you look on the pivot point there Is a small set screw that holds the hinge pin in place. Remove that and then tap out the hinge pin. Be careful that the mast does not drop when the pin comes out so that you don’t damage your cabin top. Unhook the wiring and you are now free. If you wish to pull the base I recommend still doing this as the base and mast are easier to handle separately. If you need more clarification I can provide some pictures.