Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Facebook CC Website

If it doesn't pertain to metal, wood, wire or fabric—but it is about vintage Chris-Crafts, ask your question or give your advice here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

jbyers

Facebook CC Website

Post by jbyers » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:34 am

I notice that the last post post here was on 5/24, over a week ago. It seems that the majority of those who used to post here have moved over to the FB site. Personally I am sad to see this trend as there is no way to archive the Q&A's on FB like we do here. This site has been a great source of information for me as a beginner wood boater.

I have to wonder if as time goes on fewer and fewer people will pay their dues here as members and participate as before.

I don't know the solution, but I'd like to hear your thoughts. I don't want to lose the benefits that this site brings us.

By the way, I just renewed my membership.

Captain Nemo

Re: Facebook CC Website

Post by Captain Nemo » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:01 am

You will not find me on Fakebook ever :x . When I joined here, the Boat Buzz was a major reason. I have noticed over the years postings on this site tend dwindle during the peak boating season for obvious reasons. I would rather be on the water than on line also. It does seem to me that Fakebook may be taking a good bite out of the traffic here lately. I will continue to post and pay my dues just the same.
Boats are to be made of wood, otherwise, God would have grown fiberglass trees.

joanroy

Post by joanroy » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:04 pm

I suspect the majority of posters on the Buzz are, like me, older guys with as old or older boats and not so tuned into Facebook. I love this format, simple easy to use and always an answer to everything Chris Craft. Been a great help to me over the years. I hope the Club can keep it going. Be a shame to lose this great body of knowledge.

drrot

Post by drrot » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:08 am

I feel the same. I spend too much time on the computer already. Not going to attempt fakebook.
Jim Staib
www.finewoodboats.com

1947 Penn Yan 12' Cartopper WXH474611
1950 Chris-Craft 22' Sportsman U-22-1532
1957 Chris-Craft 26' Sea Skiff SK-26-515
1968 Century 17' Resorter FG-68-174

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:03 am

I started the fakebook questioning...and am glad to see I have fellows and friends that agree...let's go boating...leave fakebook to the drones.
John in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
19?? custom Argentine Runabout 16'
1954 Whirlwind deluxe dual ckpt 16'
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)

Doug P

Post by Doug P » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:45 am

I read CCABC on facebook for my morning smile. The postings for the most part are frivolous, misspelled, commercial and attracts many who think every boat ever made is a Chris Craft or owned by some personality.
I believe this facebook site does not enhance the membership of CCABC

bflaherty

Post by bflaherty » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:22 pm

I am one of three administrators for PNW chapter of ACBS on Facebook... We are seeing similar effects, in that we have 500+ members on FB but less than 200 real paid chapter members. We have discussed at length, several options for controlling the facebook page. One such solution was the idea to lock the group page down to only ACBS members, and maybe even as far as only PNW-ACBS members! But our ideology for using FB is to capture the attention of non-members with a hope that some may be convinced to come join the real club. So far after 5+ years of having Facebook group page we have finally successfully gotten one couple to become a paid, active, member in the real club! So to me the hassle of the Facebook group page was worth it cause it is FREE!

With CCABC, I have seen people posting on FB that they are so happy with what they see on FB that they opted to not renew their club membership! This just seems wrong!! This clearly shows that too much is being shared on Facebook and not enough is being kept in the members only areas. If you want to keep members, you have to keep a certain level of benefit for being a paid member.

For me, I am 98% done with the restoration of our '69 Chris Craft Ski Boat, which was the original basis for me joining CCABC, but I plan to keep renewing my membership because I have seen first hand the incredible advantage of having access to the boat buzz and the wealth of knowledge it contains, mostly in the brains of old boaters! You can see the difference in quality of response people are getting from Boat Buzz posts vs. Facebook posts.

I think the easiest solution is for members who use both formats to respond to the questions on Facebook with invitation for the OP to come post the question on the Boat Buzz. This way, hopefully, that person will at least come view the boat buzz and see what a great resource it is and perhaps either join the club, or at least be reminded of why they should renew their membership and not just rely on Facebook.
Brian Flaherty
1969 Chris-Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "TUPPERWARE"

"You'll never discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

mfine

Post by mfine » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:52 pm

IMHO, the foolish and shortsighted move to Facebook is going to kill the CCABC. At one time, the ability to post here was a compelling reason to join the club and to renew each year. A magazine, no matter how nice, is not attractive to people under 45, maybe 55. This forum was the future, but it has stagnated with little or no updates for over a decade, and now it has been ignored and all but abandoned in favor of a platform where the club no longer controls the message or owns the content.

Why should the people on Facebook join the club? What are they going to get for their $50? The club needs to figure out an answer other than the old argument about how wonderful the Brass Bell is.

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:57 pm

I agree totally with Matt Fine (mfine).
But maybe this is just the death of a media. Telegraph, land line phone, I don't know. I do know that I have benefited so much from the info and friendships from the CCABC....and I don't plan to stop posting and reading the buzz until if and when it dies completely. Fakebook friends are superficial cyber figments as far as I can see...whereas mfine and troy and Jim Staib and all the gang...are real, live, people....and fine ones at that. Our comments and content are based on experience and reflect a high level of boating knowledge....from what I hear fakebook makes you wade through the muck of dumbass comments and barefoot boating pilgrims to get to anyone like US....let them "like" and "friend' all they want....I am going boating.

John in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)

jbyers

Post by jbyers » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:53 am

All good comments, but I still don't see a workable solution. Maybe bflaherty is on the right track though. I know that doing nothing will probably lead to a slow, painful death of the CCABC website. Like many, I am pretty much done with my (current) restoration, but I wouldn't think of not renewing here. I will probably have to sell my Cavalier and keep my Slick Craft, but Still I will be a member here.

I strongly encourage continued discussion and maybe we can tweak some things that will save the club, not only for the old timers like me, but also for CC newbies (also like me). Let's not go down without a fight...............

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:44 am

Hey, Got my Brass Bell today...we are going strong! What a great issue...lots of meat, little fluff.....great work by Troy and all the leadership.

John in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30

tuobanur

Post by tuobanur » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:50 am

This site has been invaluable to me over the years, without it I'm not sure I would have ever completed my 15 year project "Miss Dot". There have been a lot of different social media sites over the years, FB, MySpace, etc., but not the first one help me build my boat but this site did and I'm sure it has and will help others.
Not sure why we think we need them, I created one for my business but I can't say that it has helped at all. When my daughter ask me to join FB, I saw it as a way to share pictures and events but for this younger generation it has become an obsession. Do we really need it, I say no. It seems to me that this site was doing better without it and I don't think it will be damaged with out it.
Terry
1941 Model 101 (16') Deluxe Runabout "Miss Dot"

mfine

Post by mfine » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:58 am

The younger generation we need to appeal to left Facebook years ago. Today's teens and 20 something's are on Snap Chat and other apps. Not one of my kids friends has a FB account. That's what their mom does.

bflaherty

Post by bflaherty » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:27 pm

I think MFine is on to something there... The idea behind groups like this having a Facebook account was to get the attention of folks who may not know this group exists, more specifically it was to target new boaters who might be convinced to go classic rather than buying new. The issue we have no is that, like all other social media platforms, the "new boater" we want to target are no longer on Facebook, and the old timers with all the knowledge never were!

I know my local chapter of ACBS has even been discussing pulling the plug on our Facebook group page because it is just full of one non-member's constant posting of stolen classic boat pictures he copies and reposts on all the classic boat pages. Very few of our members use Facebook and after 5+ years we have only gotten one couple who found on Facebook and actually joined ACBS!!
Brian Flaherty
1969 Chris-Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "TUPPERWARE"

"You'll never discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:10 am

good research and statistical info there Brian...thanks a lot! We should heed this

John in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30